Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Classic 250p Dobs getting started

Hi, keen to hear from experienced 10” Dobsonian users as will be receiving mine soon. Particularly any hints and tips on accessories - I’ve read elsewhere that the BST Starguiders work well and will be using those to start with.  As a fan of zooms and an owner of the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm I’m looking forward to testing that with the Dobs - would be good to hear from anyone who has used this combination on your thoughts. 
I’ll be using a Mak as a more portable instrument but interested in trying both planetary and DSO on the 10” when conditions allow!
Looking to tap into the experience of this community for any words of wisdom as I appreciate the fast f/4.7’s require some thought to get the most out of. 

Clear Skies

AD

The Baader zoom is the eyepiece I use by far most on my 10inch f/4.8 Dob, so more or less the same as yours.  It works very well indeed at f/4.8.

This is what Bill Paolili, author of the book "Choosing and Using Astronomical Eyepieces" said about it in his review:

Over the course of testing the Baader Hyperion Mark IV Zoom, the eyepiece showed itself to be a capable and potent observing tool. Optically it provided a bright, high contrast, and controlled view that allowed it to keep up with even premium wide-field eyepieces like the Pentax XWs. Although its Abbe Orthoscopic-like AFOV at the longer focal lengths may be too restrictive for some observing situations, its wide field performance at the shorter focal lengths and its flexibility to perform the function of several eyepieces make it a powerful accessory for any telescope. Its smaller form factor, lighter weight, and zooming function also demonstrated it to be an ideal binoviewing eyepiece, especially when used for lunar observing as it can replace multiple sets of fixed-focal-length eyepieces. The Mark IV also demonstrated that it can be part of a minimalist set of eyepieces for any telescope — especially if accompanied by a 2" 25-35mm wide field for scanning and finding and a 2x or 3x Barlow. Finally, the very smooth action of the Mark IV's mechanics, its quality build, and its range of optional adapters for photography and spotting scopes, and its excellent off-axis performance even in a fast f/4.7 Dobsonian makes it a truly unique and effective astronomical eyepiece.

https://astronomyconnect.com/forums/articles/the-61_baader-hyperion-mark-iv-zoom-eyepiece-a-performance-review-with-monoviewing-and-binoviewing.66#overall

Edited by Second Time Around

1 hour ago, Second Time Around said:

The Baader zoom is the eyepiece I use by far most on my 10inch f/4.8 Dob, so more or less the same as yours.  It works very well indeed at f/4.8.

This is what Bill Paolili, author of the book "Choosing and Using Astronomical Eyepieces" said about it in his review:

Over the course of testing the Baader Hyperion Mark IV Zoom, the eyepiece showed itself to be a capable and potent observing tool. Optically it provided a bright, high contrast, and controlled view that allowed it to keep up with even premium wide-field eyepieces like the Pentax XWs. Although its Abbe Orthoscopic-like AFOV at the longer focal lengths may be too restrictive for some observing situations, its wide field performance at the shorter focal lengths and its flexibility to perform the function of several eyepieces make it a powerful accessory for any telescope. Its smaller form factor, lighter weight, and zooming function also demonstrated it to be an ideal binoviewing eyepiece, especially when used for lunar observing as it can replace multiple sets of fixed-focal-length eyepieces. The Mark IV also demonstrated that it can be part of a minimalist set of eyepieces for any telescope — especially if accompanied by a 2" 25-35mm wide field for scanning and finding and a 2x or 3x Barlow. Finally, the very smooth action of the Mark IV's mechanics, its quality build, and its range of optional adapters for photography and spotting scopes, and its excellent off-axis performance even in a fast f/4.7 Dobsonian makes it a truly unique and effective astronomical eyepiece.

https://astronomyconnect.com/forums/articles/the-61_baader-hyperion-mark-iv-zoom-eyepiece-a-performance-review-with-monoviewing-and-binoviewing.66#overall

Very helpful Second Time Around - thanks and I think the book you mention would be a useful reference to have to hand!

Clear Skies,

Welcome!

I have the Skywatcher 200P and the BHZ IV with matching Barlow and a lower power WA EP works really well for me.

As well as eyepieces, I have worked on the finder options to make life a little easier and more comfortable.

I would definitely consider a finder safety harness and I've gradually built a set of accessories.

This forum is great for picking up tips and checking up on observation write-ups.

Edited by Spile

Collimation is critical with these fast scopes, so make sure you have the right tools. You don't need fancy laser thingies per se, a good Chesire will do. A nice, stable seat is a necessity, preferably one that can be adjusted in height because observing with a dob varies from bending over to almost standing up. Some use drum thrones, although heavy they are very comfortable. I had one, but now I use a light-weight, cheap ironing chair. A zoom eyepiece is very convenient, but many observers like to supplement it with one widefield eyepiece, like the Panoptic 24 or a ES 24/68, because the Baader field of view is quite narrow at the longer focal lengths.

But maybe the 'wisest' advice is to just go out and use the scope! You'll notice along the way what you miss and what you need. Have fun!

Edited by Waddensky
  • Like 1

Thanks all - I’ve read mixed opinions on laser collimators so will stick to a Cheshire as suggested I think. Very helpful to read the different experiences - a lightweight chair is a good thought - seems obvious but maybe often overlooked! 

17 hours ago, Astro_Dad said:

a lightweight chair is a good thought

A number of people use ironing chairs and they are reasonably priced and lightweight. Just make sure you tell your partner* before nicking theirs if they might notice it is missing 🙂

* non sexist get out of jail free card. 

2 hours ago, Spile said:

A number of people use ironing chairs and they are reasonably priced and lightweight. Just make sure you tell your partner* before nicking theirs if they might notice it is missing 🙂

* non sexist get out of jail free card. 

😄

• 3 months later...

Hi, not sure if this should be a new thread or fine here, but I’d be interested in the collective wisdom of the community on exit pupil theory and practice and fast Newts such as the 10 inch f /4.7. I’m considering an ES 28mm 68 Deg 2 inch, but as I’m past mid 40’s wondering whether an exit pupil of nearly 6 is pushing it, and therefore “safer” with a 24mm 68 1.25. I’ve read a fair bit around the subject and as always differing views - I’ll probably have a go and try, but interested in others thoughts on this subject. 

Clear Skies,

AD

I'm 61 and use low power eyepieces with exit pupils of 3.96mm (21mm) and (less often) 5.85mm (31mm) with my F/5.3 12 inch dobsonian. Under my skies (Bortle 5) the smaller exit pupil is generally the more effective one. Both have their uses though.

9 hours ago, Astro_Dad said:

I’m considering an ES 28mm 68 Deg 2 inch

I have a 2" 56mm Plossl that I use with my 10" Dob, but it only gets very occasional use. All my other eyepieces and cameras are 1.25", so to use a 2", I have to remove the 1.25" adaptor from the end of the focus draw-tube and replace it with the 2" one, then reverse the process for all the others. I have also found that I need a short extension tube to achieve focus, so adding to a bulky, and heavy, extension at the front of the tube. To compensate for the extra weight, I had to add a balance weight at the primary mirror end.

I haven't done the sums, but I would have thought a 32mm 52 1.25 Plossl would do a similar job, in a more user-friendly, and cheaper, package. I normally start my sessions with mine.

Geoff

Thanks for your replies. I think on balance  the 32mm is a good way forward  - at least for sweeping and finding objects. The exit pupil is creeping up a little (6.8) but this purpose would be fine. 
I’ll likely complement with an ES 24mm/68 as has been recommended previously for this scope type. 

Thanks.