Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Has ZWO a quality issue with their accessories or is it just me - and it turns out it's me!

As a (eternal?) beginner and on a tight budget I always try to inform myself as much as possible for my next purchase in this hobby; but despite my roaming forums, youtube and what not, I seem to be very unlucky when it comes to ZWO accessories (I cannot speak for there cameras, as a dedicated astrocamera is only planned somewhere next year).

• My first ZWO purchase was the ZWO ASI 120MM guide camera ; to reach focus with the guidescope, I needed to screw the extender on, but alas no way to get that extender tight. Very likely problem with the threads. For 185€ I did not wanted to start an email chain back and forth with the supplier, as after all he's just the reseller. So after being fed up with not being able to fix the guide camera in the guide scope, I used super glue to glue the extender to the camera. Problem fixed, but I admit not a very "scientific" solution.
  • After having ruined a 50+ subs session due to focus problems because of a temperature change  - I plead guilty, I shouldn't have taking that nap - I decided to buy a motorfocuser. As usual weeks of searching and reading before deciding what to buy. Being an Astroberry Ekos user, I found that the ZWO EAF was guaranteed to work with Ekos, so I purchased it despite this user's experience: ZWO EAF (fast forward to 14:33). When it arrived, the first thing I tried was to see if the screws to attache the bracket to the motor unit were fitting. Ok, I did not have the problem as the guy in the video. As this weekend, I'm starting the works for the telescope pier, I dismantled the tripod, mount and scope and took on the occasion to install the focuser. Removed the focus knob, to replace it with the flexible focus coupler, wanted to screw in the locking screw, but no, no way to screw in the locking screws, none of the 8 locking screws can be fitted in any of the couplers ... 😒 rendering the whole thing useless. I emailed and called the supplier but apart from "we'll have our technician have a look into it" and also "you should not complain, this is made in China, with labour costs half of what they are in Europe, so what can you expect" (which honestly I think is close to racism, but that's then maybe me being too sensitive) no reaction.

A sad and frustrated,

AstroRookie

Edited by AstroRookie

I do not have too much ZWO stuff but I do have 3 cameras and an EFW. Personally I have no issues at all with any of the kit. I have had problems with stuff from other manufacturers which is frustrating. Given the excessive cost of astro gear, the least we should expect is that it works as described. I think QC is sorely lacking at a lot of manufacturers - not just ZWO.

With regards to the supplier claiming 'it is made in China, what can you expect' that is just a cop out. Probably half the stuff in the world is made in China and like every country they have cheap rubbish and quality kit. I do not know where you purchased the focuser from but certainly in the UK (and I assume Europe) the retailer is responsible for sorting it out. Unfortunately it is a sad state of affairs, but I purchase everything on-line with a credit card simply for the protection it gives the consumer for issues like this. If you are unhappy with the retailers response.

I hope you get it sorted.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

What telescope are you fitting the eaf too ,are you saying there is no way of fixing the bracket to the focuser ? as for the locking screw you do not use a locking screw once removed as the motor keeps focuser locked .

Orion 8 Astrograph. The problem is the little locking screws that do not fit in the holes of the couplers. I tried the locking screw of my focuser knob, and even this one does not go into it. I suspect there's no threads in the little holes of the couplers.

AstroRookie

• AstroRookie changed the title to Has ZWO a quality issue with their accessories or is it just me - and it turns out it's me!

Does your focuser look like this ,so the bracket holes dont line up to any of the grub screws on the flat of the focuser , coupler is a standard fitting and can be had on ebay should you need another coupler ,im sure other peeps on here have EAF fitted to this focuser so maybe they can enlighten you better. +1 for deepsky dad i have his units fitted to my scopes one being a Skywatcher 200pds same type focuser as yours .

orion astro.JPG

Edited by bottletopburly

It turns out it's just me ...

A friend suggested to shine with a flashlight into the holes, to see if there are threads present, and what do I see, there are already locking screws in the holes.

So this stupid here tried to screw locking screws into locking screws ... I feel so stupid, but I have the "advantage", I can always fallback to my username

AstroRookie

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, AstroRookie said:

A friend suggested to shine with a flashlight into the holes, to see if there are threads present, and what do I see, there are already locking screws in the holes.

So this stupid here tried to screw locking screws into locking screws ... I feel so stupid, but I have the "advantage", I can always fallback to my username

AstroRookie

Don't worry, we all do stupid things. The most stupid thing is to say one doesn't do stupid things...😱

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AstroRookie said:

AstroRookie

If its any consolation - a few weeks back I thought something was seriously wrong with my new ZWO ASI533MC Pro.

At the end of a session I wanted to capture another target just to see what it looked like in the frame (ready for the next session). The 'light frame' came out pitch black to which I thought my camera had given up the ghost. I started frantically googling to see if anyone else had the same issue.

Cut-two - I had left the dust cap on the scope (from when I was shooting the dark and bias frames) and had obviously forgotten to take it off before moving to the target 😩

Edited by Jonny_H
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jonny_H said:

Cut-two - I had left the dust cap on the scope (from when I was shooting the dark and bias frames) and had obviously forgotten to take it off before moving to the target 😩

Since this is not the first time I hear that, I can guess there are two types astronomers: those who panicked because they left the cap on, and those who will do it in the future. LOL! 

I belong to the first group. Recidivist. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1