NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astroberry experience: generally very smooth installation but one minor issue

I ordered a RPi4 (4G mem, 64G SD card) yesterday afternoon, it arrived around midday today, and a couple of hours later I have what appears to be a working Astroberry-based system, so I'm pretty happy! My camera (SX Lodestar) and electronic filterwheel (also SX) are up and running via EKOS and I'm just waiting for the Lynx cable to be delivered so I can connect the Pi to my AZ-EQ6 mount and get rid of the Synscan hand controller once and for all.

Having never used any of the tech before, nor EKOS, I followed this great video which goes through the entire process from scratch and I would highly recommend it to anyone installing Astroberry for the first time. 

I did come across one issue (nothing to do with the instructions in the video). After installation, I followed the instructions on the astroberry.io site to update the system by running

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade && sudo apt dist-upgrade

in a terminal window. This all seemed to go well but at the end I received the following message:

Errors were encountered while processing: 

gpsd
astroberry-server -sysmod
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Everything seems to be working fine, though now of course I wish I'd ignored the update instruction.

Has anyone else come across this?

Cheers

Martin

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Martin Meredith said:

I ordered a RPi4 (4G mem, 64G SD card) yesterday afternoon, it arrived around midday today, and a couple of hours later I have what appears to be a working Astroberry-based system, so I'm pretty happy! My camera (SX Lodestar) and electronic filterwheel (also SX) are up and running via EKOS and I'm just waiting for the Lynx cable to be delivered so I can connect the Pi to my AZ-EQ6 mount and get rid of the Synscan hand controller once and for all.

Having never used any of the tech before, nor EKOS, I followed this great video which goes through the entire process from scratch and I would highly recommend it to anyone installing Astroberry for the first time. 

I did come across one issue (nothing to do with the instructions in the video). After installation, I followed the instructions on the astroberry.io site to update the system by running

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade && sudo apt dist-upgrade

in a terminal window. This all seemed to go well but at the end I received the following message:

Errors were encountered while processing: 

gpsd
astroberry-server -sysmod
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Everything seems to be working fine, though now of course I wish I'd ignored the update instruction.

Has anyone else come across this?

Cheers

Martin

Martin

Maybe fire off a PM to @RadekK with the above error message 

Andy

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Martin Meredith said:

Thanks to you both. I've let Radek know in any case but if it is just GPS then it won't affect me. 

Now I'm keen to turn my Python app into an INDI-client 🙂

Martin

Mmmm, anything interesting? Did not realise INDI supported Python, thought it was C+/C++

There are at least two ways into INDI that I know of for Python (if anyone knows of others I'm all ears):

1. https://github.com/geehalel/pyindi-client which is a set of SWIG-generated bindings to the C++ code

2. via the Dbus interface exposed by Kstars/EKOS (thanks to SGL member @KP82 for alerting me to this and showing me the way). More details: https://www.indilib.org/support/tutorials/148-dbus-scripting-with-kstars-python.html

A bit of context: I have a cross-platform, 100% Python near-live observing application called Jocular (that a few of us use in the EEVA section) and my plan is to write a simple two-way asynchronous communication system (also in Python at both ends) that will allow Jocular to use high-level requests (set filter to X, exposure 3s, goto NGC 2403 kind of thing) which will be picked up on the PI side and converted into INDI requests and use one of the two mechanisms -- most likely PyIndi as it avoids the EKOS layer altogether -- to get the job done. This way, the client remains pure Python and there is a (hopefully small) server sitting on the Pi handling the requests and communicating the results. I'm currently looking at Open Sound Control as the communication protocol as it is simple and handles large objects, but this is very preliminary.

cheers

Martin

Edited by Martin Meredith
added link to dbus examples
  • Like 1

Very timely! I've an 8GB due in tomorrow which I'm planning on putting Astroberry on, though the other bits for the kit still aren't here; I'll keep my eye out for that error and see if it pops up when I'm going through things.

I got the same error too - no GPS module so I assumed it wasn't a problem. Happy to report a fully working Astroberry system - now just a clear night.....

I opted for a 8GB Pi4 and have a 128GB SD card so no issued with free space. Little black box now attached to my accessory tray - I'm so pleased as I have a cable free rig all working on the home wifi. Happy days

FYI - CEM26 & a Canon 550D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Feccy said:

I got the same error too - no GPS module so I assumed it wasn't a problem. Happy to report a fully working Astroberry system - now just a clear night.....

I opted for a 8GB Pi4 and have a 128GB SD card so no issued with free space. Little black box now attached to my accessory tray - I'm so pleased as I have a cable free rig all working on the home wifi. Happy days

FYI - CEM26 & a Canon 550D

Radek suggested doing the following, which worked for me

sudo systemctl stop gpsd.service
sudo systemctl stop gpsd.socket
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo systemctl restart gpsd.service
sudo systemctl restart gpsd.socket
  • Like 1

Hi Guys, I was PMed by @Martin Meredith so I can take a look at this issue.

I do confirm that running the sequence of commands fixes it:

sudo systemctl stop gpsd.service
sudo systemctl stop gpsd.socket
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo systemctl restart gpsd.service
sudo systemctl restart gpsd.socket

I guess the issue pops up when upgrading a system installed from a fresh image. It could be the case that it was introduced somewhere in-between image version and the latest version of astroberry-server-sysmod. If one updated the system using former updates the issue does not appear at all. So use this workaround and keep going.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...