NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Horror Stories

JSeaman

1 minute ago, Stu said:

This was my biggest disaster. Tall spindly 8” f8 scope on an EQ platform. I had left it out with the cover on, and the it got caught by a sudden gust of wind.

It was a complete shock when I checked it over I must say, I didn’t think it would do that much damage! Fortunately I had a spare top ring and repairing it wasn’t as difficult as I thought.

A76EDEC0-C9A5-4282-A441-042485E98412.jpeg

A frog mouthed Newtonian.  Regards Andrew 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, andrew s said:

A frog mouthed Newtonian.  Regards Andrew 

Wasn’t there a story about a frog mouthed Newtonian that was kissed by a beautiful princess and it turned into a handsome refractor?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, JSeaman said:

Love the wheelchair incident - I was stood on the pavement at midnight the other night walking the dog whilst trying to do some rudimentary trigonometry with my finger and thumb at right angles pointing at the sky. I hope nobody saw me!

The camera drop horror story sounds genuinely terrible!!

so, that's what you were doing, I did wonder!!!!  rofl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JeremyS said:

Wasn’t there a story about a frog mouthed Newtonian that was kissed by a beautiful princess and it turned into a handsome refractor?

Hammer house of horror I belive. Regards Andrew 

41 minutes ago, andrew s said:

I am a fatalist and work on the principle that if you can do something about it do it, if not don't worry about it. As I said the insurance paid up and I had fun choosing new kit from scratch. Indeed getting it all at once resulted in a better setup. 

Regards Andrew 

I vaguely recall you going on a Berlebach frenzy ... was that the cause?

2 minutes ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

@Stu - the shape of the top of the scope in that second picture reminds me a bit of that well known (misleading) picture of a blobfish. Looks a bit sad too ☹

It certainly did look a bit sad!

7 minutes ago, andrew s said:

Not me, unless I was in some way out of my mind.

Regards Andrew 

Ah yes looking back you were a devil’s-advocate contributor to the “show us your berlebach” thread back In April, that’s what stuck in my mind. Apologies for having maligned you ;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Ah yes looking back you were a devil’s-advocate contributor to the “show us your berlebach” thread back In April, that’s what stuck in my mind. Apologies for having maligned you ;)

Must be someone else: Andrew never plays devils advocate 🤣

• Haha 1

On holiday with CGE-DX, 200PDS, CANON700D, starsense and other bits. I was using a shower tent secured to ground pegs for weather protection - a well tried and tested solution historically in up to gale force winds.

Unknown to me a family member being “helpful” had secured the shower tent to the tripod legs. 

Didn’t survive a 20mph win

Insurance covered all - fortunately. 

• Sad 2

On 09/03/2021 at 19:21, andrew s said:

A dehumidifier caught fire. It was the only thing on as I was about to go on holiday. I had to damp the fire down before rushing to the airport.

Regards Andrew 

Stress - just what you want on the way to the Airport!!!....😬

• Haha 1