Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 7789 still eluding me. Maybe.

I only managed a short session last night, but one of my targets was NGC 7789 (Caroline's Rose) in Cassiopeia. I can see where it should be from my star atlas, and at low power I would imagine that with a 2° field of view I should be able to pick it up even if I'm not exactly centered on it. I thought I saw a very faint fuzzy area, but I'm not convinced I'm looking at the right thing.  Is this a cluster that needs a very dark sky to observe it properly?

Pete

1 hour ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

What aperture are you using? In smaller scopes, it can appear as a fuzzy patch, rather than easily resolved stars. The fact that it lies in a very star-rich area of the milky way doesn't help.

It was in a 6 inch dob.

I found it a lot harder than I expected. It took me a few times before I managed it and, unusually, after seeing it a couple of times, I couldn't find it again. As said above, it's in a star-rich area and I find Cassiopeia and Cygnus difficult constellations to find stuff in. When I saw it, though, I was really chuffed. It was very delicate and beautiful but subtler than had expected. 

• Like 1

Yes once centered up the magnification I've seen it in a 8" and it looked really beautiful. 

I have got it in my 5" Refractor but had to up the mag to really appreciate it, if the 6" is the 150p go for 8mm giving you x93 then bump it up again to a 5mm giving you x150 this should make the stars pop out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orange Smartie said:

Is this a cluster that needs a very dark sky to observe it properly?

Definitley not! I enjoy it from near East Midlands airport where we can read the cap badges of DHL captains  landing. Agree with others you will need to look before the moon rises now.. Mean while try something nice and bright like  M35

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Orange Smartie said:

Thanks all. @wookie1965, yes it is a 150p. I'm so used to looking at clusters like Pleiades and M35 that I expecting a brighter object in a wider area! Clearly that is not what I will experience with this. I'll take a pop again and try with the 5mm or 8mm.

Pete

This is a delicate beautiful object with many "circular" lanes revealing the "Rose". This is a goto favourite object. M37 in Auriga is another spectacular object that likes mag and a widefield.

• Like 1