NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any thoughts/advice on this Tripod - what kind of weight might it take etc.?

Jasonb

Hi all,

I'm keeping my eye out for a tripod upgrade, and found this on a second hand site.

It's listed as a Meade LX200 Field Tripod. From what I can see it's an older model, and I'm finding it hard to suss out what kind of quality would it be, what weight could it take etc.? I currently have a 130P Reflector and I don't do AP, do I don't need a massive tripod/mount, but I am looking to improve on the aluminium one that came with my scope. The seller says its from a Meade 10" Classic Telescope and that the the tripod is spec'd to handle gear up to 50kg for vibration damping, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Thanks in advance...

1020078513_MeadeLX200FieldTripod1.jpg.ed9464eb44e310af3106a639bebbd490.jpg

210515570_MeadeLX200FieldTripod2.jpg.5d9606ff6fd84c0ac13694ff5f782112.jpg

1694200050_MeadeLX200FieldTripod3.jpg.08c0bbdd615830da346260b28532e1ed.jpg

Edited by Jasonb

Thanks @icenfire66 My plan would be to get a new mount as well, I'm still deciding between something like an EQ5 or an AZ5, depending on which I want to go with (I've another thread about that!). I know it's probably not an easy question, especially as it's second hand, but any idea how much the tripod might be worth? Or how much this kind would cost new? Thanks...

So I've found out that the central bolt in this tripod is basically a 1/2 bolt, and obviously the mounts I'd be looking at are 3/8. Anyone any tips/advice on how to do a simple conversion? I think the bolt is used to help give the tripod some of it's stability, so not sure if a 'simple' bolt replacement would work...

1 minute ago, Tiny Clanger said:

So, am I right in thinking that the long threaded bar and vaguely triangular shape are threaded through that mammoth top plate from below , and that is actually the mount holding bolt ?

Yep, my understanding is the long threaded bar screws up through the hole in the bottom of the top plate, and the top of that bar pokes up through the hole and connects to the bottom of the mount. The vaguely triangular shape is a spreader that pushes a little against each leg, adding stability. I've checked and the hole in the top plate appears to be threaded, so it needs a 1/2 bar to go through it. Realistically, I think any adjustment would need to be made to the part of the bar that sticks up over the top plate, basically putting something on top of it that can accept 1/2 from below, and has a 3/8 bolt on top, or something like that. 

• Like 1

Just now, banjaxed said:

Looks like it might be possible to replace the 1/2” bolt with a 3/8” one.

I was wondering that, but the top plate is threaded, and I think the spreader is threaded, so if I replace the 1/2 bolt then neither of them are tight anymore, which I assume would cause an issue?

3 hours ago, Jasonb said:

So I've found out that the central bolt in this tripod is basically a 1/2 bolt, and obviously the mounts I'd be looking at are 3/8. Anyone any tips/advice on how to do a simple conversion? I think the bolt is used to help give the tripod some of it's stability, so not sure if a 'simple' bolt replacement would work...

The EQ3-2,EQ5, AZ4, Skytee II and HEQ5 use M10. The EQ6 uses M12. The AZ5 is 3/8th's I think.

I believe those Meade tripods have a flat top. The above mounts need a recess of 60mm or 30mm (depending on the mount) in the tripod hub to fit into.

Edit: The AZ5 can fit onto a flat tripod hub top I believe.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

So, the way the threaded bar and triangular bracing thingy works, is by tension , the bar runs between a threaded hole in the top plate to under the triangular brace thingy where there is a black knob on the threaded bar ( a bit like a quick release plate, When the bar is in place, the triangular thingy is tightened by turning the knob on the threaded bar , and pulls it up towards the top plate,  bracing the legs, yes ?

I wonder if maybe you could find a threaded bar of the same length, and the correct diameter for your mount, along with a nut and perhaps washers or some sort of plate to spread the stress out.  Would it be possible to have that smaller diameter threaded bar simply pass through the larger threaded holes and up into the mount's threaded socket. Then the nut below the triangular plate (taking the place of the black knob) could be tightened to pull the thing together in tension . The threaded bar would not stay in place when the mount is removed from on top, it would just fall, not being retained by the 1/2" thread which we assume is in the tripod top plate .

It's beginning to look like rather a lot of a project to make this thing work ...

• Like 1

Those old Meade tripods take heck of a weight, I've got a triple scope setup on one,.

That looks like a wedge attaching plate, if you take those three screws out is should have a flat top then you can get or make a mount attaching plate, I've got a 10Micron mount on mine with supplied adapter and just a washer and nut to screw the centre bar into to spread the legs.

Dave

Looks to have thicker legs than your picture

Triple-rig.png.06fa0e8f444c8bcde6c6feca2b58f954.png

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, John said:

The EQ3-2,EQ5, AZ4, Skytee II and HEQ5 use M10. The EQ6 uses M12. The AZ5 is 3/8th's I think.

I believe those Meade tripods have a flat top. The above mounts need a recess of 60mm or 30mm (depending on the mount) in the tripod hub to fit into.

Edit: The AZ5 can fit onto a flat tripod hub top I believe.

Yep, got my az5 on a venerable  manfrotto 55, just the standard photo tripod to head 3/8" screw.

• Like 2

Thanks for all your replies everyone, I'll do my best to respond.

I've read a few threads on CN about this tripod. Apparently the centre bar is 1/2 13 (which I'm pretty sure is diameter and number of threads per set length). The centre bar is threaded through the spreader and top plate and is designed like that to add tension and stability.

Thanks for those different mount sizes @John, it seems crazy to me that there are so many different sizes, you'd think a standard size would be a good idea? Though the EQ6 using M12 does give a possible solution.

@Davey-TThanks for the pic, I think your tripod is one of the heavier Meade ones (they have versions like Field Tripod, Giant Field Tripod etc.) hence the thicker legs. The fact this tripod seems to be rock steady and can take a lot of weight is why I'm spending time looking into this. The very wide top plate being removable is a plus too, it would possiby be in the way. I emailed Maede's supplier in the UK with pics and they said that tripod could be up to 30 years old and that they don't have any adapters. They also said their current version of that tripod can take 30kg, but the older one might take more.

@wookie1965Thanks for the offer and for taking the time to look, I appreciate it, and what you find might add to my options.

So I have a couple of potential options. Firstly, one of the threads on CN showed this tripod with a tubular mount adapter on it. Someone asked about it, and the owner said he got it from Universal Astronomics (he uses their mounts) as it went from 1/2 13 to what the mount needed (I don't know the second measurement). So I checked out Universal Astronomics, and they're out of business but still selling off accessories, so I emailed them to see what the adapter changes the 1/2 13 to, if the have any left, what cost etc.

The second line of enquiry will be with FLO. @Johnmentioned the EQ6 being M12. FLO have an adapter for an EQ6 tripod to fit 3/8 (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tripods/astro-essentials-3-8-photo-adapter-for-eq6-tripod.html) and 1/2 and M12 are very close in size, so I'm going to see if FLO might know if they're interchangeable.

Of course, all these might not work, and they add extra cost on top of the tripod. So I'll just have to see how viable they are! Fun and games, eh?

Thanks for that info, good.to have another potential option. Could you tell me how long that centre bolt is @wookie1965? And how much would you want for it?

I actually just found out from the seller that the top plate isn't actually threaded, which means replacing the centre bar might be a solution, and by far the easiest one.

Edited by Jasonb

50 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

Thanks for that info, good.to have another potential option. Could you tell me how long that centre bolt is @wookie1965? And how much would you want for it?

I actually just found out from the seller that the top plate isn't actually threaded, which means replacing the centre bar might be a solution, and by far the easiest one.

It is 11" long and you can have it. I was sent it from a SGL member when I got a EQ6 Tripod but it didn't fit. 

All the best 

Paul 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

That's very generous of you, thanks!

I'm in Ireland though, so I'll definitely pay you something as postage probably won't be cheap, it probably has a bit of weight to it?

It's 287g so with packaging not sure I would have to do that then weigh it again. PM me your address please I will take it to the post office and see how much it will cost tomorrow. 

Edited by wookie1965
  • Like 1

Excellent, thanks! The seller has confirmed that both the top plate and the vaguely triangular shaped spreader are not threaded, so it really does look like replacing the centre bolt will work just fine, fingers crossed! :)