Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

old lens orion

alacant

zeiss.thumb.jpg.bb22a0a11c463b7b8a7371e07548b362.jpg

IMG_20210211_122947.thumb.jpg.b5f1ee08e3005cbce95ac048cd9ea9a3.jpg IMG_20210211_123115.thumb.jpg.2b1517a077b20b10cfd818acccfa5308.jpg

Hi everyone

Very windy last night so no go, even with a small telescope. An old lens on some heavy dovetails however, provided some resistance to the irregular gusts.

A UHC filter seems to have helped with the usual taken-with-a-cheap-old-lens appearance and the -erm- aperture mask worked wonders on the star spikes. On the downside, there are a few reflections from the brighter stars, although easily 'healed' in StarTools.

Anyone else tried the UHC? Problems with reflections?

Thanks for looking.

zeiss 135 mc-s on 700d @ ISO800 ~ 2 hours

872866495_1-alnitak-135(1)_01a.thumb.jpg.b82e0ec3da4d59a6f600a3c8b947204a.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 14

I like your step ring as it is not a tower of rings generating possible reflections, though i am assuming you ordered direct and waited some weeks for it to arrive.

Looking at your image on the desktop that's a lot of dust have assumed your camera is modified too.

56 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

waited some weeks

No need to wait. A well known Chinese based outlet;) Ask for European shipping at the checkout. Make sure you are ordering from the manufacturer. If the store sells jigsaw puzzles, sunglasses and wine cooler sleeves as well as step down rings, look elsewhere!

Edited by alacant
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I like your step ring as it is not a tower of rings generating possible reflections, though i am assuming you ordered direct and waited some weeks for it to arrive.

Looking at your image on the desktop that's a lot of dust have assumed your camera is modified too.

I have had plenty of these large step rings from Amazon so I can use my 77mm ND filters etc with all my camera lenses.

Alan

That's lovely @alacant.  Definitely nicer w/o the diffraction spikes.  I have an old Sonnar 135 MC as well that I've been playing around with, so you've set the bar I now need to aim for w my clumsy images! 👏🏾

Is the Canon modded?  I'm waiting for a cheap soldering iron to arrive, and then intend on modding an almost two decades old Pentax istD (basically taking the IR & anti-alias filter off to make it full spectrum, and then relying on filters threaded into the front of the lens).  Let's see what happens!

Lovely image again 👍🏾 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vineyard said:

Canon modded

Hi and thanks for your comment.

Yes, it's a modified 700d.

Good luck with the Pentax. Just take your time and I'm certain it will go smoothly. The Zeiss 135 certainly delivers on definition.

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1