Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Alternative polar alignment question

I saw my iPhone drop out today due to lack of battery. Easy peasy, plug it in and all is restored. This simple thing (which is not simple at all) got me thinking...

I do my polar alignment using a SynScan app on my iPhone. I am meticulous about battery charging in readiness for a session and have a battery back up, just in case.

But I thought how did Equatorial mount users get Polaris positions before all this GPS mobile stuff came about? 

I am of that age where computers were invented main stream (bbc micro) but there was no internet or mobile phones. How was it done pre digital age?

My biggest hope is if #barkis replied, and told us the old school ways. You were missing for a while but came back a month ago. I hope all is well.

Marvin

1 minute ago, Seelive said:

To polar align my mount I used visual drift alignment, either that or just a wet finger in the air to see which way the wind was blowing and hope 😊

That’s not quite what I was getting at. Is that how it was done in the old days? I can just about see Mr Flamsteed at Greenwich sticking his finger in the air and saying “The Royal Observatory is Polar Aligned”. Please let Mr Hershel look through the telescope and discover stuff.

Is there an analogue version of SynScan still available?

Marv

I think folk only got obsessed with polar alignment when astro' imaging caught on, don't think Mr Hershel had that problem besides which he probably sensible setting circles that weren't just decorative 😄

Dave

I have been to Greenwich and seen the large scope that resides there., plus the huge end bit of what remains of the Hershel telescope.

They must have had to get some accuracy of polar alignment or how would they know what they were looking at in regards to RA and DEC.

These people mapped the skies. (Hershel catalogue is a testament to accuracy and observation and crucially record keeping) Without accurate PA they had no idea if they were looking at a known object or new object, so again how did they gain PA back in the day? They sure were not using SynScan on an iPhone 6.

Marv

3 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Wow.....looks a right faff!!!.....thank God for technology!!

Until they start manufacturing mounts with motor driven Azimuth and Altitude adjusters that can be controlled by the technology then it will always be a faff 😉

7 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Wow.....looks a right faff!!!.....thank God for technology!!

Thanks indeed. I love our modern ability to just ‘touch screen’ and GPS info appears. It is a modern day marvel to me.

I will say that when I get my hands on an illuminated reticle EP I will give the drift alignment routine a go.

Right now I have to set up and pack away for each session (Which right now is once every two months)😩 and as a mobile unit the benefits of drift alignment seem a moot point.

However, I have plans for an obs a year or two from now, so knowing how to drift align is a big thing for a permanent setup. Super accurate PA I assume is a foundation stone.

Thank you again #ngwillym 

Marv

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Right now I have to set up and pack away for each session

I can’t be doing that. With my setup it’s not possible, I just wouldn’t bother as much as I do. I leave my mount (and quite often, scope as well) set up on a semi permanent basis. No pa required (occasionally) and no star alignment required (occasionally). I can be up and running in 10 minutes. All you need is a good cover, TG 365 and you will have no problems. I have never really understood why people pack away equipment every night that is designed to be outside unless it’s a security issue. As long as you take some precautions it will be fine. It’s there to be used, not look pretty in the conservatory. I used to pack away every night, no more, it’s just a pain in the you know what. Life is easy now and I get out a lot more. 

I know what you mean about pain in the you know what, but I using an EQ5 and 150pds which is not very heavy. I can get my kit up the garden and in use in about 15 minutes.

of course a permanent set is the dream of many and I am most definitely one of the many. To be honest my biggest problem is endless months of bad weather not setup time. 
The wettest year on record down here was 1971 with 740mm of rain. December and January have already bought us 620 mm in just two months! 

I hope you get some clear skies, you know those planetary nebula are waiting.

Marv

• Like 1