Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Brief But Enjoyable Session

Epick Crom

Hi my fellow stargazers! Partly cloudy night sky again last night, so I decided to lug out my 10" dob and try my luck observing through brief gaps in the clouds.

Eridanus was clear, I had read about a double star I hadn't heard off or seen before on Sky Safari hours earlier so decided to give it a go. The star in question is p Eridani. Located it a degree from Achernar. What a sight! Beautiful double star with evenly matched components. What makes this double spectacular is its colour, I would best describe them as both golden orange. I spent some time mesmerised by this glorious sight. Another cloud gap had formed in Carina, so I pointed my scope at the random and incredibly landed close to NGC 2808, a stunning globular cluster in Carina. Observed it quickly before it got covered by clouds.

The clouds were comming in thick and fast, so I observed the waxing gibbous Moon as my final target. The Moon looked hazy through the clouds but this provided a bit of a filter to mask it's dazzling brightness through my 10". Observed a feature I like to call " UFO's on the limb". I always notice it two to three days before full moon, there are walls of craters that catch the sunlight on the narrow bit of terminator left, and look like round objects glowing in the semi darkness. Love it! After that I packed up and called it a night. Brief but enjoyable session 😁 Clear skies to all!

• Like 14

Hi nebula takes me back to my observing days in Kwinana many years ago.

These were the best Skys ever.Scorpio,Southern Cross with the coal sack and jewel box Had many a good visit to Perth Observatory with goannas all over the road .

thanks for the memories and good seeing

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Kimboman said:

Hi nebula takes me back to my observing days in Kwinana many years ago.

These were the best Skys ever.Scorpio,Southern Cross with the coal sack and jewel box Had many a good visit to Perth Observatory with goannas all over the road .

thanks for the memories and good seeing

G'day Kimboman! So you used to observe from Perth? Yes Perth Observatory in the hills! We are blessed with unbelievable skies over here. Where are you now if you don't mind me asking? Cheers and clear skies mate!