SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Canon 550d & Optolong L-Extreme?

Rich1980

22 minutes ago, Rustang said:

Your definitely right, they certainly have their draw backs in terms of colour. I think there's always a compromise with every aspect of this hobby :)

Most definitely, and the L-eNhance has served me well so far. Although, I do think if my sky at home was Bortle 4 or less (rather than 8 ) I'd be less reliant on it 😁

Edited by Stuf1978
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rustang said:

draw backs in terms of colour

I think that if you want something like what we imagine the correct colour to be,  the idea is to take unfiltered frames and use the bi-filter to make l for lrgb.  Or just settle for bi-colour e.g. hoo.

But yeah. A filter can never add light to a frame. It always removes some of it. In the case of the l-extreme, most of the visible spectrum.

Cheers

• Like 1

I have just started experimenting with the l-enhance and a modded 550D, I thought it may speed things up as I was taking individual Ha and Oiii with separate filters but it was taking ages to get enough data for a decent image due to lack of clear nights.  At least this way I can collect Ha and Oiii at the same time and then split the RGB for processing.  Not quite as narrow band pass as my individual filters but does a reasonable job, obviously the l-extreme will be narrower.

This is my first HOO image with this combination. Pacman Nebula with about 3.5 Hrs exposure on a 150PDS.

1101920647_PacmanHOOCrop.thumb.jpg.d8eb2b8ec709f10450626b87303c50ae.jpg

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Sorry for digging this old thread up. 

Just about to lay my hands on the skyguider pro where I will mount my canon gear. 

As I undestand the L-enhance can be found as a dslr clip-in filter. But what about the L-extreme? Only seems to find it as a regular 1.25" or 2" filter. You guys who use it with your dslr, are you using canon ef-lenses or other optics? If you are using ef-lenses, how and where do you stick the filter? :S 

9 hours ago, Hedtjarn said:

Sorry for digging this old thread up. 

Just about to lay my hands on the skyguider pro where I will mount my canon gear. 

As I undestand the L-enhance can be found as a dslr clip-in filter. But what about the L-extreme? Only seems to find it as a regular 1.25" or 2" filter. You guys who use it with your dslr, are you using canon ef-lenses or other optics? If you are using ef-lenses, how and where do you stick the filter? :S 

I had the same question a few weeks ago. I came up with two options:

- the t-thread Canon adapters often have a thread on the inside (M48 or M50-something for the two I have) that you can screw a filter in to (often via an adapter)

- I also 3D printed some 1.25" to EOS clip adapters that allow a 1.25" filter to be inserted as a clip-in filter. YMMV, but with the lens I used, vignetting is minimal. The bad news is the cheap 3D printing I used wasn't accurate enough to print the thread for the 1.25" filter, but blu-tac is a wonderful thing.