NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Defeating the moon

Zermelo

Last night was unexpectedly good here.

In my <12 months observing experience, I'd always thought of the moon as a mortal enemy, scuppering hopes of seeing much else.

Well last night I split the following doubles for the first time:

Meissa (Lambda Orionis)
Sigma Orionis
Alnitak (zeta Orionis)
Tegmine (two components only)
Trapezium (saw the fainter 'E' and 'F' components for the first time)
Beta Monocerotis

and some others were showing willing, but not quite split: 32 Orionis, 52 Orionis, Eta Orionis

I also saw for the first time:

M35
Caroline's Rose
Eskimo/Clown Face Nebula (with UHC)
NGC 2244
Rosette Nebula (with UHC)

as well as checking in again on Mars, Uranus, M81, M82 and M42 (surprisingly good, so close to the moon).

Objects were certainly more difficult to locate with the moon up (I could see just two stars in UMin unaided, and I'm Bortle 4).   But I found the combination of GoTo, Telrad and RACI finder to be very effective.   I'd also tweaked the display on SkySafari to make it easier to follow in the dark, and the clear diagrams in "Turn Left" were a big help.

I'd have liked to go on longer (the Leo triple was last on the list) but in the end my fingers got so cold I was afraid I'd drop something.  The outside of the OTA was starting to frost up and a couple of eyepieces were fogged over, but my home made dew shields managed to preserve the finders and secondary. 
Not bad for a "moon" evening, though (and I didn't get around to looking at the moon !).

Edited by Zermelo
  • Like 9

Good list of "Moon-proof" targets there :thumbright:

If a planet is close to the moon in the sky I think that is often an advantage. I've noticed that planetary colour tints look more saturated when they are bathed in a bit of moonlight.

Maybe the same for coloured double stars ?