Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Alt-az mount for Skywatcher 100mm f/9 apo (in Europe)

zsolo

Scopetech Mount Zero?  Payload is 7kg/15lbs.  It performed better than the Vixen Porta II in a head to head damping test on a You-tube video.

There's a long thread  and review here all about it including a link to the above video:  https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/355800-new-altaz-mount/

In stock at FLO but not cheap at £379.

I'm very pleased indeed with mine but it's only got a 72mm f/6 on it.  With accessories that's about 5kgs/11lbs.

Edited by Second Time Around

• 3 years later...
Posted (edited)

Hello fellow star-gazers,

I am the one who started this thread a looong time ago. Still haven't gotten around to get a descent alt-az mount for my SW 100 ED. Lots of you recommended Skytee II / TS AZ5.  
Recently I have also found this Vixen Advanced Polaris alt-az. It is lighter and maybe has a better build quality than the Skytee. What do think? Anybody has any experience with this mount?

https://www.astroshop.eu/alt-azimuth-without-goto/vixen-advanced-polaris-apz-altazimuth-mount/p,48437

Vixen-Advanced-Polaris-APZ-altazimuth-mount.jpg

Edited by zsolo

I admire your patiencd and persistance! The APZ is a very nice mount with smooth slow motions far better than the Porta. Go to try one if you can. However, my experience of them is that they dont like being overloaded, and a 100mm refractor would be on the limit and should be carefully balanced.

If you get an APZ then  I suggest using a Vixen HAL tripod with it which will help control the SW100. There are still many less expensive mounts, as 3yrs ago, and some more expensive too! Look for posts about Rowan AZ75 if you want to treat yorself. A better mount makes a scope a joy to use.