SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ASI120MC Problem

Stub Mandrel

I have a problem with my ASI120MC, which I use chiefly as a guide camera in PHD2 but also for planetary imaging and polar alignment in Sharpcap.

Sorry for the long list of symptoms...

When used for longer exposures (typically about 0.2 seconds or less) it starts losing frames.

Sometimes it will run fine for a whole evening.

Usually it will periodically stop generating frames, this mostly happens in PHD2. When it (rarely) happens in Sharpcap ensuring auto Turbo USB is enabled usually restores order.

Sometimes it starts generating split frames, so the guide star is in the wrong place.

Sometimes disconnecting the camera in software will solve it.

Sometimes physically disconnecting the camera is needed.

Sometimes closing the program and re-opening will help.

Sometimes opening the camera in Sharpcap will allow it to work when I go back to PHD2.

Occasionally a full computer restart is needed.

Switching between 8 and 16 bit doesn't seem to do anything.

I have reinstalled the drivers.

Recently I reinstalled PHD2 (I already was using the latest version) after nothing else could get the camera to work (it was working in Sharpcap).

This seems to have improved things, but the camera still occasionally starts dropping frames for a few minutes, then recovers, resulting in guiding going AWOL.

Sorry for the lengthy description, my guess is the problem is related to PHD2 getting out of synch with the data flow from the camera - suggested by the split frames and Sharpcap's ability to work it more reliably with its more sophisticated controls.

It may also be an ASCOM issue as a few times ASCOM has thrown a wobbly (I have tried reinstalling it) and loses my mount (HEQ5).

What is weird is it all used to work OK and rock solid reliability - in August I did about five nights in a week each of 5-7 hours imaging without a problem, same equipment. Since then I haven't had more than one or two sessions without a problem with the camera.

Can anyone suggest something that I could have changed unwittingly?

Is the 'best' solution a new camera at the risk of  no improvement?

Is it the USB2 or USB3 version, as what you are describing are some of the issues people report with the USB2 version. There is a firmware update to try and help and fixes some people's issues. 

It maybe your USB hub drivers were updated by windows during the year without telling you which is triggering the well known issues with USB2 versions. If it is the USB3 version then the above won't be the issue.

Also maybe worth contacting the ZWO support people on their website - I've found them to be very helpful in the past if you take the time to compose a detailed and precise question.

Edited by 7170
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 7170 said:

Is it the USB2 or USB3 version, as what you are describing are some of the issues people report with the USB2 version. There is a firmware update to try and help and fixes some people's issues. 

It maybe your USB hub drivers were updated by windows during the year without telling you which is triggering the well known issues with USB2 versions. If it is the USB3 version then the above won't be the issue.

Also maybe worth contacting the ZWO support people on their website - I've found them to be very helpful in the past if you take the time to compose a detailed and precise question.

The ASI120MC  USB 2.0 version, is not longer supported by ASI, there is a firmware upgrade that came out a while ago, but dont think it helps much with some OS’s.

The fact that operating systems and imaging software has moved on, and the driver for the ASI120 has not, is part of the issue... ☹️👍

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, 7170 said:

It is the USB2 version, quite possibly this is the result of a helpful windows update.

The laptop does have a USB3  port, I run my ASI1600MM off it.

I didn't realise ZWO had a support forum, I will check there.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

15 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

The firmware tool zip file, usually contains the iic files, but the ones I have, date from 2013 !!  and if I remember correctly they are the latest ??

FirmWareTool.zip 125.27 kB · 0 downloads

The current links on the website are to a Windows .EXE and I couldn't find any iic files in the current linux or Mac zip folders.

I'll try yours and see what happens!

OK... on my desktop, the compatible version stopped it working in RAW16 mode, but the three 8-bit modes were OK.

I've gone to the standard firmware and it works in all three modes.

I will have to see which version works best with the laptop I use.

Thanks!

OK, my findings;

The 'compatible.iic' version:

Old desktop: Works in 16 and 8 bit mode in Sharpcap. Works in 8 bit mode in PHD2, but with all split frames.

New Laptop: Works only in 8 bit mode, but unstable, doesn't always start unless I change mode) in Sharpcap, doesn't work at all in PHD2.

The 'standard' version:

Old desktop: Works in 16 and 8bit modes in Sharpcap. Works in 16 and 8 bit mode in PHD2, sometimes with split frames.

New laptop: Works in 16 and 8 bit modes in Sharpcap.  Now only managed to generate one frame in PHD2 over multiple tries in 8 and 16 bit modes.

So... the conclusions are:

The 'standard' iic seems to be more reliable than the 'compatible' version.

Sharpcap is better able to manage a connection to the ASI120MC with both sets of firmware.

The difference appears to be something about how USB 2 is implemented on the two computers (note the 'old' desktop is bang up to date - it did the latest Windows full update yesterday).

Looks like I need a new camera for guiding. I've ordered a cheap Svbony one as a stopgap, even if the max exposure is only 500ms my system can cope with that.