NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

7 Sisters of California

This is my second attempt at this composition and some time off over the holidays is giving me time to catch up with processing…

This is quite a large chunk of sky between the Pleiades running up to the California nebula. I had a go at this around 9 months ago, but it was low in the sky at the time and I clipped the background to sort out atmospherics and light pollution gradients. It’s been nice to have another go closer to the zenith. The acquisition was as follows:

2 pane mosaic, taken through Altair 183c Pro camera on a Star Adventurer with a Canon 15 year old “nifty fifty” f1.8 lens. I found focussing at f1.8 just about impossible, so it’s stopped down to f2.8. I wanted to get as much of the dust as possible, so I didn’t use a filter and this restricted me to 30 second exposures at gain 1000. Each pane has 120×30 seconds.

I then enhanced the California nebula by blending it with some data taken back in October with a 1970s 135mm Soviet lens and an Ha filter.

I suspect that the dust could have been made more prominent had I taken this from a darker site, but I was still quite pleased at how much came out. Who needs a telescope? 😆

1509839731_7SistersCalifornia201220.thumb.jpg.6fd5bd640dc7e5d2adacb0a7fba82d39.jpg

• Like 15