NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

USB controlled relay board for 12V supplies

old_eyes

I have noticed that when I power up everything on my mount together, sometimes the Atik 460ex doesn't catch. The fan is running so the 12V power is there, but the camera is listed as unavailable.

All I need to do is to unplug and replug the power supply, but it will be a nuisance for my future plans for remote operation. The obvious answer is to have a remote switchable 12V outlet for each device, then I can control them individually. I could use a Pegasus Astro Powerbox Micro, but it is fairly expensive and only has two dew heater outputs. I need three and I already have a Hitec Astro 4-channel box. 

I could build something with an Arduino or Raspberry Pi and a relay board (for example @daz design), or I could couple a Velleman VM110 with a relay board (already using one VM110, so I know how they work).

But I notice that our CHinese friends are now producing compact and cheap USB controlled relay boards https://www.amazon.co.uk/Channel-Interface-Drive-Free-Computer-Control/dp/B07W8HLHKF/. Since I want to mount this with the scope(s), it has the benefit of being cheap, compact and light.

Anyone got any experience of these? Or know of any reason why I should not go this route? At the price it is probably worth just giving it a go, but if anyone knows anything, I would be grateful.

The same board, along with ones with less relays is available from ebay here even cheaper, and it does say control software is provided along with libraries to write your own software if you wish, which may be a safer bet than the Amazon one.

Alan

1 hour ago, Tomatobro said:

The listing does not detail if a controlling software package comes with it so that would be my main concern.

Yes. That was my concern also. I would hope that there would at least be a test program that allows you to switch each relay on and off. That's all I need, but I would need something like that.

34 minutes ago, symmetal said:

The same board, along with ones with less relays is available from ebay here even cheaper, and it does say control software is provided along with libraries to write your own software if you wish, which may be a safer bet than the Amazon one.

Alan

Thanks. At that price, I can afford to give it a go!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up - I bought the relay board detailed in the last post above (Chips-Fans). I have been asking on a regular basis for the software for over a fortnight and despite the occasional email saying yes we send it be email - nothing has been received.  Useless without it and probably useless with it - it connects and disconnects if I lightly touch the USB lead connection.  If anyone has managed to get the software or has a link to it I would be very grateful if you could share it??

I had something similar, a delayed on relay, but it had an issue. The relay was operated by 5V but the input circuitry had a reverse polarity protection diode which dropped the voltage to the relay enough to prevent it from activating. So I had to add in a buck boost to take the voltage to 5.5V (from memory)

3 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

Just a heads up - I bought the relay board detailed in the last post above (Chips-Fans). I have been asking on a regular basis for the software for over a fortnight and despite the occasional email saying yes we send it be email - nothing has been received.  Useless without it and probably useless with it - it connects and disconnects if I lightly touch the USB lead connection.  If anyone has managed to get the software or has a link to it I would be very grateful if you could share it??

Ahh! That could be a problem. At least it did not cost much 🙄

Quick update in case someone stumbles across this thread looking for ethernet/USB controlled relays.

I gave up on the eBay 8 relay board for £10 - they couldn't supply the promised software and when I did find compatible software the board didn't work - the slightest vibration caused the USB socket to drop the signal - not what you want in the hostile environment of an observatory!!!! It will shortly be on its way to landfill sadly.

I did some research and found this product - https://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/products/relay-modules/ethernet-relay/ds378.html

Arrived next day and the chap who runs the company phoned me next day to explain that if any of the loads are inductive then I should fit 'snubbers' to lengthen the life of the relays - nice touch.

Its very well made - worked straight off the bat. Easy and reliable and with an amazing array of configurable options.

They also supply a variety of webpage options all of which are fully and easily configurable.

Cant fault it!!!

This is my new mission control.......

Capture.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's a neat solution Billy.  At the moment I have my main camera and the general observatory camera controlled by Alexa via standard smart plugs.  Relays look a more practical solution once the number of devices starts to rise.  That's a reasonable price as well for the board . 

Jim 

9 hours ago, saac said:

That's a neat solution Billy.  At the moment I have my main camera and the general observatory camera controlled by Alexa via standard smart plugs.  Relays look a more practical solution once the number of devices starts to rise.  That's a reasonable price as well for the board . 

You can control this relay board via Alexa 😉 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

You can control this relay board via Alexa 😉 

Yep I noticed that ; makes  it doubly attractive.  I've bookmarked the page I think I may be using it in the near future . 

Jim