Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY Relay Switch box for the observatory

daz

Continuing my automation project, I have completed the relay box that will power everything.

It consists of a Velleman VM110N USB Interface card and a Vellemen VM129 8 Channel relay card. The USB Card has 8 digital outputs and connects to the inputs to the relay card. There is a power supply (12v AC) for the card, and then the relays are grouped as follows:

• Relays 1-5 will be for the AAG CloudWatcher and low voltage red and white lighting
  • Relay 6 is for the mount hub pro on the pier
  • Relay 7 is for the roof power
  • Relay 8 will be the control for an automated flats device (see recent S@N project, by one Steve Richards :) )

The USB card will connect to the PC, and I am in the process of writing the ASCOM switch driver for it - but it's pretty straightforward, as the VM110N comes with the necessary DLL file!

Next part of the project is to properly install the power and USB cable to the mount, locate the mount hub pro in its final position and make the new wiring loom...

I'll do a fuller write up in due course...

daz_relay_box.jpg

Archived