NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

An hour of clear sky!

Dantooine

I also noticed earlier that the sky was clear and stars were on display! Unfortunately however I have had glass or two of  Christmas wine and there is no way on earth I am going anywhere near my ‘scope until I can pass the astronomers’ sobriety test. For those of you who have never heard of it, because I have only just made it up, the test is to say out loud three times very quickly “Critically check crucial collimation carefully”. I can’t even say it sober!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

I also noticed earlier that the sky was clear and stars were on display! Unfortunately however I have had glass or two of  Christmas wine and there is no way on earth I am going anywhere near my ‘scope until I can pass the astronomers’ sobriety test. For those of you who have never heard of it, because I have only just made it up, the test is to say out loud three times very quickly “Critically check crucial collimation carefully”. I can’t even say it sober!

That’s the first test. If you pass, the second test is to actually try to do it 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Enjoy 🔭 

Just had a short session on the moon too... just the Mak 127 and zoom, but still lovely 👍

Interesting to hear your thoughts on this combination, I’ve would expect the Ethos is amazing on the moon 😀

Well it’s only about 77x with this setup but it “bright”. I find it very revealing and it’s nice to have some space around the moon, it gives easy views as it’s in the eyepiece a very, very long time. The 13E is just such a special eyepiece to me, it never fails to impress. It’s the longest fl ethos I have, maybe that’s why I use it so much. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

That’s the first test. If you pass, the second test is to actually try to do it 🙃

Actually doing it is the easy part, I just take the tube and roll it around on the lawn for a few minutes until it stops making funny noises, it’s perfectly aligned then. Works every time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Tiny Clanger said:

I can gauge the temperature outside from my sofa very easily by the cat's reluctance to go outside and slaughter mice .

Cat firmly in place on hearthrug : probably going to be a frost tonight 😀

Cats know absolutely everything, they are the Masters of the Universe, not the white mice.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

Cats know absolutely everything, they are the Masters of the Universe, not the white mice.

We are definitely their slaves and they have a clever way of making us think we are their masters. 

• Like 2

one of mine is in mostly when it's wet or cold out, the black kitty tho, he's out regardless but comes in frequently to warm up and demand treats and food. Should I dare to go to bed he'll wander in and complain that I'm not serving him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We were treated to a few hours of clear skies over here near the East coast. Managed to try out my new AP rig and, despite some teething issues, I grabbed a few shots of M31, which I will attempt to process later.

I also had assistance from cats - "this warm laptop looks nice to lay on..." 😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 27/12/2020 at 22:22, Second Time Around said:

Cats also graciously allow us to share their homes with them.  Provided we pay rent in the form of pandering to their every whim that is!

This reminds me of the joke (not one I made up though) about a German Shepherd, a Doberman and a cat who died at the same time.

In heaven all faced God who wanted to know what they believed in.

The German Shepherd replied, "I believe in discipline, training and loyalty to my master."

"Good!" said God.  "You may sit at my right side."

"Doberman, how about you?" asked God.

The Doberman answered, "I believe in the love, care  and protection of my master."

"Excellent", said God.  "You may sit at my left side."

Turning to the cat God said, "What to do you believe in?"

The cat replied, "What do I believe in? I believe you're sitting in my seat!"

• Haha 4