Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nice solar activity in Ha - 24th Dec

Mark at Beaufort

I had both the WL setup and LS60 out today Mark. It's the first time I've had the Lunt out for a while and was amazed at how many small filaments there were dotted across the surface of the disc together with some lovely arching proms in the north.

Here is a rudimentary sketch of what I saw.

Probably the most action I've seen on the disc since starting solar observing.

IMG_20201224_182505.jpg.b71a2906065928f887546c47f8732fbb.jpg

• Like 7

I was able to pop out for a bit on the 24th! I enjoyed the filaments, nice to see a few around! The seeing was a bit wobbly our way but the group of small sunspots looked sweet in white light.

Despite all the cloud of late it's been great to get several solar sessions in.

There seems to be lots of flooding our way, near Bedford. I hope everyone is fine.

• Like 1

There’s a story on the Sky and Telescope website at the moment: “Will the next solar cycle surprise us”, which floats the prospect of the new solar cycle being one of the most active in recorded history. Only a theory, but a mouthwatering one. Certainly the increase in activity recently has been fast and consistent.

PS - nice sketch Ade!

Edited by Highburymark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't have Sky & Telescope so haven't read the article.  However, isn't a series of inactive solar cycles linked with lower temperatures on Earth?  If so, the sun entering a more active phase may be interesting, but not what we want with global warming!

I've just started solar observing having bought a Quark.  I've been very impressed with what I've seen so far, despite relatively little action because we're only just past a solar minimum.  In particular, I'd never seen a prominence with my own eyes before.  It's fascinating and awe-inspiring to think that many of these, plus some of the recent sunspots, are bigger than the earth.  One of these I even managed to see naked eye with eclipse glasses.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Highburymark said:

There’s a story on the Sky and Telescope website at the moment: “Will the next solar cycle surprise us”, which floats the prospect of the new solar cycle being one of the most active in recorded history. Only a theory, but a mouthwatering one. Certainly the increase in activity recently has been fast and consistent.

PS - nice sketch Add

Thanks Mark, not up to my usual standard as I was being pressured to pack up and go out, but hey ho, better than nothing.

Just noticed the cardinal sin though, I haven't noted down the orientation of the sketch and things look odd as I was viewing with the diagonal twisted around to one side for comfort.

This was the first time I'd really done as @Peter Drewsuggests and fully backed off then gradually increased tuning via the pressure tuner to draw out all of the features that I have sketched.  Some were pretty subtle (more subtle than I have shown in the sketch) and were not visible when the disc was showing the most contrast, but an interesting exercise for me at least and has shown me just what I might be missing by not doing this every time I set up.

Thanks for the heads up on the Sky & Telescope article, I will be reading that with interest later this evening.

Ade 

Edited by AdeKing
Added details.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

I don't have Sky & Telescope so haven't read the article.  However, isn't a series of inactive solar cycles linked with lower temperatures on Earth?  If so, the sun entering a more active phase may be interesting, but not what we want with global warming!

I've just started solar observing having bought a Quark.  I've been very impressed with what I've seen so far, despite relatively little action because we're only just past a solar minimum.  In particular, I'd never seen a prominence with my own eyes before.  It's fascinating and awe-inspiring to think that many of these, plus some of the recent sunspots, are bigger than the earth.  One of these I even managed to see naked eye with eclipse glasses.

The article is available to read free on the website Steve. There’s also a thread on CN about it.

Good to have another solar convert on SGL! And even better that your Quark is delivering great views. I think 2021 is going to be a fascinating year for hydrogen alpha and white light observing.

• Thanks 1