NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Starting out eyepiece set with a £1,000

bomberbaz

What would you buy if starting out again but with a reasonable budget. Think you were buying a 200p dobsonian, probably the best starter scope if reports on here are anything to go by but basic glass provided. 

Now we know the stock eyepieces are not the best so we often tell people to upgrade with our own ideas or preferences. Often mentioning adding telrad or similar etc but that's another thread. 

Occasionally we see people offering decent budgets for eyepiece upgrades, up to a grand but to buy a full set of good glass, what would you go for?

I will start with my choice.

A full set of APM UFF eyepieces and a ES 1.25 - 2x focal extender. APM glass

I have had two APM UFF eyepieces, they're great eyepieces, if i were to start fresh with the 200P I would love to have a set of Baader Morpheus. When I say set I mean I'm usually happy with 3-4 eyepieces for a particular scope. The Baader Morpheus eyepieces are just great eyepieces with lots of eye relief and built well. A set of Morpheus would be great starting from the 6.5, 9, 12.5, and 17.5mm. Once you buy your first Morpheus you will want more, I actually have more Pentax XW eyepieces than Morpheus because it just happened I bought them used at good prices as they are a bit more than the Morpheus line pricewise.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 2

I've never used them but I would probably go for some of the Baader Morpheus as well because I've heard so many good things about them. I'd select 4 from the Morpheus range (14mm, 9mm, 6.5mm and 4.5mm perhaps)  and also an APM / LUNT 20mm / 100 which could just be squeezed out of the budget I think.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

I'd probably go with a 30mm APM UFF, a 17.5mm Morpheus, a 12.5mm Morpheus or APM 84° High Eye Relief Flat-Wide, a 9mm Morpheus, a 6.5mm Morpheus, and a 4.5mm Delos.  That totals somewhere between $1298 and $1354 before tax, which is about £1,000.  You didn't specify if we needed to include tax.  Americans rarely price things after taxes because they're not hidden with the exception of gas (petrol) taxes, and they vary from state to state.

• Like 1

Quite a few suggestions of a 4.5mm EP in the range. I have been considering adding a 4.5mm to my collection. However I have had very few opportunities to use my current highest fl the 6.5mm. How necessary is it to have an EP like the 4.5mm in your range, will it get much use.

Anyhow, I just about scrape under the 1k mark with my current 6-9-14-17.5 Morpheus and 30mm aero ED. 😃

5 hours ago, John said:

I've never used them but I would probably go for some of the Baader Morpheus as well because I've heard so many good things about them. I'd select 4 from the Morpheus range (14mm, 9mm, 6.5mm and 4.5mm perhaps)  and also an APM / LUNT 20mm / 100 which could just be squeezed out of the budget I think.

I like this option, seems the morpheus are very popular. I would like to try one out to see if they are as good as the reports suggest. Never noticed the APM 100 series before, have you tried one out @John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

I like this option, seems the morpheus are very popular. I would like to try one out to see if they are as good as the reports suggest. Never noticed the APM 100 series before, have you tried one out @John

The nearest that I have used are the Myriad 100's Steve, which Don Pensack assures me are the same optics as the APM / LUNT 100's but with a differently designed top / eye cup section. I was quite impressed with those. I ought to point out though, for completeness, that I was not using a coma corrector for the testing with my dobsonian and no field flattener with the refractors used :smiley:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/236613-skywatcher-myriad-100-110-degree-apparent-field-eyepieces/

I thought the 20mm was the most enjoyable to use.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

You constantly hear good things about the Morpheus and nothing negative. That's a good sign.

I just wish they weren't so ugly looking :unsure:

I really like the design of the Morpheus range personally.  I do believe they went for more function over form with the different type of undercut and rubber hash grip. They remained me of the old pineapple type frag hand granage 😂

As you mentioned they are extremely good performers though. I personally am happy with my collection and am unlikely to purchase anything else. Unless I see a super duper deal of course 😁