Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stardate

20 minutes ago, saac said:

Not sure Paul, might be wrong here but , the Earth moves through spacetime in a spiral as it orbits the sun , rotates on its own axis, and follows the sun's orbit around the centre of the galaxy.  I'm guessing if it were a short jump in time then then you'd end up displaced a few cm - best to do it with plenty of space around you.  If it were  a longer jump in time then you better wear a space suit - you may land off the planet :) 

Jim

I believe the numbers here are fairly accurate .

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Paul M said:

I'm sure you are right! Maybe...

I got carried away with trying to rebut the idea that a time machine also projects someone to a specific geographical location too. I've alway thought about time machines simply shorting across that helical time line. What was or would be at your destination time in the natural passage of time would still be there when you arrive at your chosen jump time. 

I now find myself  with more respect for Doctor Who; there was me thinking he just twiddled the console for effect :) 

Jim 

• Haha 1

Just now, saac said:

I now find myself  with more respect for Doctor Who

The creators of the Tardis knew the problem well. Time And Relative Dimensions In Space. For them it never was a simple idea. Even then it seems that the destination could be and often was entirely random! :)

1 minute ago, andrew s said:

I time travel all the time. I just do it in one direction one second at a time. Not fallen of the earth yet. 🦄👨‍🚀

Regards 

You just never got near enough to the edge 🙊

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, andrew s said:

I time travel all the time. I just do it in one direction one second at a time. Not fallen of the earth yet. 🦄👨‍🚀

Regards 

Just like the driving test Andrew , going forward is the easy part it's reversing that takes concentration. As for the emergency stop, that will make your eyes water :) 

Jim 

• Haha 1

I think the whole idea of time travel is fraught with paradoxes. For starters, by just travelling to the future implies that the future must already exist “out there” for you to be able travel to and must therefore be as real as “your” time, same with the past. This to me appears to suggest that all time, past, present and future,  exists simultaneously, we occupying one small fraction of a second of it, because all said and done how long does the present last before it becomes the past? And where does it go to? 
I need another glass of single malt to help make sense of it all. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

I think the whole idea of time travel is fraught with paradoxes. For starters, by just travelling to the future implies that the future must already exist “out there” for you to be able travel to and must therefore be as real as “your” time, same with the past. This to me appears to suggest that all time, past, present and future,  exists simultaneously, we occupying one small fraction of a second of it, because all said and done how long does the present last before it becomes the past? And where does it go to? 
I need another glass of single malt to help make sense of it all. 

I don't think any type of malt will help make sense of it ;)    I just watched Tenet the other day and while I usually love  time travel movies I'm afraid this one just lost me completely. :( 

On a more serious note, I think in Physics the theory of time existing simultaneously is what they call "Block time".   It's fascinating but easily one of the most confusing areas of physics. I'm reading a book at the moment  on Time, present chapter deals with the notion of quanta of time - way down at the Planck length time exists in discrete moments !!!!  I guess it doesn't really flow smoothly as we like to perceive it (continuously) but rather  in little jumps like the second hand of a  cheap watch. 

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, saac said:

I don't think any type of malt will help make sense of it ;)    I just watched Tenet the other day and while I usually love  time travel movies I'm afraid this one just lost me completely. :( 

On a more serious note, I think in Physics the theory of time existing simultaneously is what they call "Block time".   It's fascinating but easily one of the most confusing areas of physics. I'm reading a book at the moment  on Time, present chapter deals with the notion of quanta of time - way down at the Planck length time exists in discrete moments !!!!  I guess it doesn't really flow smoothly as we like to perceive it (continuously) but rather  in little jumps like the second hand of a  cheap watch. 

Jim 

I had a go at trying to explain the complexities of time, and a few other scientific theories, back at the start of the century in a websites I made, I later published all my wacky ideas in a book.

if you want to dip into the time section and amuse yourself be my guest, it’s a subject that fascinates me.

http://www.thekeyboard.org.uk/What is Time.htm

5 hours ago, Moonshed said:

I had a go at trying to explain the complexities of time, and a few other scientific theories, back at the start of the century in a websites I made, I later published all my wacky ideas in a book.

Did you travel to 2001 recently, or haven’t you gone there yet?

10 hours ago, saac said:

Jim 

Yes block time or rather spacetime is a well defined theory if not main stream.

Discrete time or space at the Plank scale is just speculation.  There is no evidence for it even though it has been looked for. While many scientists believe in it none of our current theories use anything but continuous space and time.

Regards Andrew 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, andrew s said:

And at the speed of light too.  Really.

Everything travels at the speed of light through spacetime, but only the likes of electromagnetic and gravitational radiation travel through space at that speed.

10 minutes ago, Ags said:

So if we could increase something's temporal mass, it would travel slower in time and drift backwards relative to everything else?

Yup.  You have just given a concise description of the relativistic increase in mass and decrease in clock rates as an object moves faster in space.

14 minutes ago, Xilman said:

Yup.  You have just given a concise description of the relativistic increase in mass and decrease in clock rates as an object moves faster in space.

You need to be careful about who's clock. Your own clock always ticks at one second per second. Others see it tick at different rate depending on their velocity relative to you.

Regards Andrew 

56 minutes ago, Ags said:

So if we could increase something's temporal mass, it would travel slower in time and drift backwards relative to everything else?

But there are so many mince pies a fella can be expected to eat at this time of year.  Bsides 2020 is not a year I would wish to linger in any longer than I need. :) 

Jim 

1 hour ago, Ags said:

Or we could seek out where the gravitational field is stronger  - another reason to eat mince pies I guess. I'm increasing my personal gravitational field thereby slowing the rate at which I age relative to non mince pie eaters :) 

Jim 

Edited by saac

37 minutes ago, saac said:

But there are so many mince pies a fella can be expected to eat at this time of year.  Bsides 2020 is not a year I would wish to linger in any longer than I need. :) 

Jim 

While eating mince pies will increase your rest mass it has no effect on your rate of aging. May be (non) woke but that's a fact. Only other will see you differently!  😜

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s

14 minutes ago, andrew s said:

While eating mince pies will increase your rest mass it has no effect on your rate of aging. May be (non) woke but that's a fact. Only other will see you differently!  😜

Regards Andrew 

Andrew you are rapidly dismantling my excuses to eat mince pies here .  :) 

Jim 

• Haha 1