Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Donating a telescope to local library

RobertI

While watching one of Ed Ting’s excellent YouTube videos I was inspired by his story that his astronomy club have donated over two hundred scopes to local libraries for library members to borrow. I was thinking that it would be something I would like to do for our local library - it would be great for the library (there is an ongoing campaign to save it), it would encourage the community to explore the heavens and discover astronomy and it would give me a nice warm glow.  😇 Based on Ed’s description I would put together an all-in-one package comprising the following:

# Skywatcher Heritage 100P

# 8-24mm or 7-21mm zoom eyepiece plus 2x barlow (included with scope)

# Battery pack for red dot finder (Ed says it reduces the need to replace batteries when people inevitably leave them on) 

# Possibly a plastic crate for storing the scope and using as a table when observing. 

What do people think of the idea? Any advice or experience? Does anyone know if the 100P has a fixed (non-collimatable) primary as this would be an advantage I think. 

Thanks in advance. 🙂

• Like 1

We often visit libraries to give illustrated talks and usually take along a telescope, a solar one if the weather is suitable.  I'm not sure how much night time observation would be possible.  In any event, just seeing the telescope raises interest.  I'm pretty sure there is no collimation facility for the primary mirror on the 100P although unscrewing the lateral screws that hold the complete mirror cell allows some adjustment by push- pulling manually and then retightening.           🙂

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RobertI said:

While watching one of Ed Ting’s excellent YouTube videos I was inspired by his story that his astronomy club have donated over two hundred scopes to local libraries for library members to borrow. I was thinking that it would be something I would like to do for our local library - it would be great for the library (there is an ongoing campaign to save it), it would encourage the community to explore the heavens and discover astronomy and it would give me a nice warm glow.  😇 Based on Ed’s description I would put together an all-in-one package comprising the following:

# Skywatcher Heritage 100P

# 8-24mm or 7-21mm zoom eyepiece plus 2x barlow (included with scope)

# Battery pack for red dot finder (Ed says it reduces the need to replace batteries when people inevitably leave them on) 

# Possibly a plastic crate for storing the scope and using as a table when observing. 

What do people think of the idea? Any advice or experience? Does anyone know if the 100P has a fixed (non-collimatable) primary as this would be an advantage I think. 

Thanks in advance. 🙂

Sounds like a lovely idea, but I'd be worried the council might not be able to cope with the idea of such novelty. Presumably they are responsible for the library insurance etc still, (even if your council like ours, try to run it on a shoestring with volunteers) and you can bet some 'elf 'n safety jobsworth will come up with a highly unlikely horror scenario where an idiot looks at the Sun contrary to the obvious sticker,  a child swallows an eyepiece,  or a twerp cuts a finger on a smashed mirror , and the no win no fee lawyers start to circle .

Good luck though, and if the library doesn't go for it, maybe local cubs/guides/scouts, woodcraft folk or after school clubs might appreciate, say, a month's loan in the winter when they might make use of it in the evenings. Even better if you could arrange to do a brief talk to the group at the start of the loan to pique interest.

Heather

Thanks for the comments everyone, some useful suggestions. @Lockie I think you're right about a Mak 90 being a better choice of scope. I think the reason Ed Ting chose the 100P (actually it was an Orion Starblast - same scope) was that it's a compact all in one solution that does not need to be taken apart. I can definitely see that if anything were to be be removable (eg: tripod, counterweights, etc) they would definitly get lost by the user at some point. I was thinking that I might even replace any eyepiece thumscrews with grub screws so they cannot be removed!

@Tiny Clanger Yes I think the library idea might prove to be too ambitious! I was going to test the idea with my neighbours first anyway - we have a facebook page for the 150 or so residents and I regularly point out interesting astro events. I was hoping to do some 'sidewalk astronomy' events but COVID stopped that, however I could offer the scope to people for a couple of weeks at a time to see how it goes. My experience of lending scopes in the past is that people are initially enthusiastic but never end up using them because of cloud, cold, too busy or lose interest. If all else fails I could end up donating it to a local club or school.

Of course the biggest problem is probably going to be sourcing a scope!

• Like 1

Our local club interfaces with the area libraries - different political structures in the cities within the counties. We set up star parties, sometimes several in a week (pre-Covid). But we have not donated telescopes. I will mention it to the executive committee next month.  Thanks.

Mike M.

Vice President, Austin Astronomical Society.

• Like 1

It’s been informative reading through the library telescope page. It’s clear that this takes some organisation and preparation (such as training of library staff in how to use, clean and store the scope and preparing support material). However there are some very useful videos to support the endeavour. If I do go forward with this I will definitely start by offering the scope to friends, family and neighbours first so I can understand the issues first hand. A tie up with local astro clubs would also be helpful if I ever wanted take it further. 

Good luck @mikemarotta with your endeavours. 🤞

Edited by RobertI

Robert. I think your idea of lending to a club or school could be a better option.

There would possibly be less  chance of unintentional misuse & potential damage as I'd have thought there would usually be a single person who would take responsibility over it & will make themselves familiar with its use etc.

Edited by nephilim

6 minutes ago, nephilim said:

Robert. I think a club or school could be a better idea.

There would possibly be less  chance of unintentional misuse & potential damage as I'd have thought there would usually be a single person who would take responsibility over it & will make themselves familiar with its use etc.

Thanks for the comments. Much as I love my local club, they are almost entirely armchair astronomers, but I think they would be very interested to hear what I’m thinking of doing so it never hurts to talk. The school is a good idea - one thing you can guarantee is that the scope will get used as the kids are so enthusiastic and eager to learn. I’m not too worried about a little damage, but I really do want the scope to get used and inspire people to get into astronomy. I shall think on.....

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 1