Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is Meade still trading?

Andy ES

I’m currently looking to make a new scope purchase and I’ve already had lots of good advice on SGL regarding Celestron CPC range.

I had also looked at Meade LX90 range supplied by  Opticstar but I understand Meade in the US is bankrupt?

Just wanted to get some insight if it is still feasible to purchase Meade equipment from what  seems to be the UK sole supplier?

Cheers for any advice or experiences

Meade filed for bankruptcy protection to try and shield itself from the Orion USA's antitrust jury award.  I have no idea if they can use this approach to shed themselves of the court ordered payment.  If so, it guts our antitrust laws.

For now, I wouldn't buy their stuff on principle.  Their owner, Ningbo Sunny has acted in bad faith repeatedly before, during, and after the court case.

If only a real enthusiast could buy Meade and turn it back into something like it used to be. Not holding my breath. 🙁

https://www.bkalerts.com/recent-bankruptcy-cases/california-central-bankruptcy-court/8:19-bk-14714/bankruptcy-case-meade-instruments-corp

Edited by johninderby

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/12/2020 at 20:56, johninderby said:

If only a real enthusiast could buy Meade and turn it back into something like it used to be. Not holding my breath. 🙁

https://www.bkalerts.com/recent-bankruptcy-cases/california-central-bankruptcy-court/8:19-bk-14714/bankruptcy-case-meade-instruments-corp

Orion did try to purchase Meade, but as this media quote below says, they were outbid by two Chinese companies.  I think Meade would have been better off under Orion ownership.

Orion had tried to acquire the then financially ailing Meade but was outbid first by another Asian manufacturer and finally by Ningbo Sunny. Orion alleges that after the Meade merger with its Chinese buyer, Orion’s ability to buy products from the combined entities ended.

On 13/12/2020 at 15:15, TomBee said:

This market is really strange and this time it seems to be the end of Meade :(

Meade as a brand will continue, though attached to what products, I don't know.  Brands are typically the most valuable items in bankruptcies.  The question is, who will own the rights to the Meade brand when all is said and done.

Meade SCTs will continue to be manufactured in China by Ningbo Sunny and their suppliers/subsidiaries.  What brand name will be slapped on them remains to be seen.  Ningbo Sunny is not in bankruptcy, only its US subsidiary Meade is.  Because of incorporation laws, Ningbo Sunny is completely isolated from these bankruptcy proceedings in the US.  At this point, the most they stand to lose is the Meade brand, but I have my doubts about that as well.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Update on this threadMeade is now owned by Orion USA as of June 1st, 2021!  Basically, the bankruptcy court awarded Orion substantially all of Meade's assets to settle the lawsuit that led to Meade filing for bankruptcy.  My prediction that this would happen was correct!  Had Ningbo Sunny simply paid $500,000 or so like Synta/Celestron did to settle out of court with Orion, they would still own the Meade brand.

Optronic Technologies, Inc. (dba Orion Telescopes & Binoculars) ("Orion") (est. 1975) today announced the formation of Meade Acquisition Corp. (dba "Meade Instruments"), an affiliate of Orion that has acquired substantially all of the assets of Meade Instruments Corp. ("Meade") (est. 1972), following the approval of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California.

Opticstar is now the official Meade importer in the UK. Always found Opticstar to be a great astro dealer with first class sevice so hopefully this will continue with Meade. 

Opticstar is the exclusive importer and dealer for Meade and Coronado products in the United Kingdom. Meade products include one year UK warranty fulfilled by Opticstar Ltd on hehalf of Meade Instruments Corp. Coronado solar telescopes are designed and manufactured by Meade.”

https://www.meadeuk.com

Edited by johninderby

Since the Orion deal went through a couple of months ago I’ve been watching out for any market statements or messages through dealers about the future of the brand, but haven’t seen anything. Stocks of Meade product seem to be non-existent at most retailers. Particularly interested in what Orion might do with Coronado. The solar telescope market really needs some affordable competition for Lunt, which is so overpriced in Europe. Suspect Orion has a massive task ahead rebuilding the business, but there’s still a lot of goodwill out there for the brand

• Like 1