I guess the benefit of having the GoTo over manual will depend on what your skies are like where you plan to observe from and perhaps knowledge of what's up there that you want to try to see. In light polluted areas it can certainly help you to find targets that you won't be able to see to star-hop to. Also it'll keep the scope on target once you have found it, removing the need to try to nudge accurately to keep it in view.

You don't say what your interest areas are, if it's moon and planets then GoTo is perhaps less useful in that they are relatively easy to target by hand.

• Like 4

Hi thats good advice above i have goto and it will find targets easy once set up which when you get used to doing it is easy 

If you can afford goto get it as to add it on after can be pricey 

Edited by Neil H
  • Like 1

This is a matter of personal preference, there is no "right" answer.

Factors favouring a manual dob;

- if you already know your way around the sky, learning to "star-hop" will be easier.

- are you patient, with a long attention span?

- if you have fairly dark (rural) skies, you will have  a lot more starting points for your star-hops.

- if you enjoy the thrill of the chase as much as observing the target.

Factors favouring a Goto dob;

- easier to find targets for a beginner, but you will still have to recognise enough bright stars to align the scope.

- if you will be easily distracted by having to regularly nudge the scope to keep the target in view.

- if you have urban/suburban light pollution.

- if you prefer observing targets to searching for  them.

I started with a manual scope and had great fun, but changed to Goto when I found myself gnashing my teeth in frustration after sometimes spending  an hour or more failing to star-hop to a target in light-polluted skies.

Perhaps you could buy a used manual dob. If it doesn't suit you could sell it for more or less what you paid for it & switch to a Goto. Good luck with whatever you decide; decent new & second-hand scopes are in very short supply at the moment.

Edited by lenscap
typo
  • Like 4

My first scope was a dobsonian which I bought for a good price 2nd hand from an SGL member. I think I really wanted a goto but the 2nd hand manual was a cheap option so I had nothing to loose. 
I actually ended up being very pleased with it. And in fact it was a great introduction to the hobby and the views were great.
Yes being manual was a slight pain in that I had to manually track the objects by hand but the fact I had to find the objects really helped me get used to where things are in the sky at particular times of the year.

Also, because at that stage, being very new to the hobby, I did not know where my real interests lay again it gave me time to think what I really wanted whilst having something I could use and keep the interest going.

After a lot of chatting and asking many questions on SGL (Some which really were very novice questions but that where we all start and nobody made me feel silly for asking these very basic questions) I fairly soon decided I wanted to get into astro photography and so If  I had paid a lot more money and bought a goto Dobsonian then really that would not have been the ideal start for AP and so saved myself a lot of money, although AP is not cheap so when I say I saved money that is very much debatable 🙂 

So it does very much depend on where you may think you want to go with this.
If you think you really just want to dabble into astronomy or even are keen but think you are more into observing then the goto dobsonian will serve you well and you can still take some images even very easily just with your mobile phone.
But if you are unsure, or think that the imaging side is more where you want to head then maybe get the manual and save the money to put towards an AP setup later as you will need a fair amount of cash for this as a good sturdy mount that will track the object is ideal for this.

I still have the manual Dobsonian as I love it and so long as I have the room in my garage to store it will keep it.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 1

I live in Southampton and will do most of my observing here, but going to the New Forest is an option for dark sky viewing. At the moment I am interested in Moon, planets and DSOs.

Thank you for your advice, which points to the GOTO dob as there is a fair amount of LP.

17 hours ago, lenscap said:

This is a matter of personal preference, there is no "right" answer.

Factors favouring a manual dob;

- if you already know your way around the sky, learning to "star-hop" will be easier.

- are you patient, with a long attention span?

- if you have fairly dark (rural) skies, you will have  a lot more starting points for your star-hops.

- if you enjoy the thrill of the chase as much as observing the target.

Factors favouring a Goto dob;

- easier to find targets for a beginner, but you will still have to recognise enough bright stars to align the scope.

- if you will be easily distracted by having to regularly nudge the scope to keep the target in view.

- if you have urban/suburban light pollution.

- if you prefer observing targets to searching for  them.

I started with a manual scope and had great fun, but changed to Goto when I found myself gnashing my teeth in frustration after sometimes spending  an hour or more failing to star-hop to a target in light-polluted skies.

Perhaps you could buy a used manual dob. If it doesn't suit you could sell it for more or less what you paid for it & switch to a Goto. Good luck with whatever you decide; decent new & second-hand scopes are in very short supply at the moment.

Yes, agree with all that, and I would add:

- if you are likely to spend a significant amount of your observing time with a partner, family, or members of the public, you may decide that GoTo is worth having so as to reduce the time they have to spend waiting for you to find things. Even if you have it available, you could still choose to ignore it and hone your hopping skills when you're on your own.

• Like 1

yep stock levels everywhere will be low at the moment. Nothing wrong with used as what you save can be banked toward some better eyepieces etc. Just check and if possible have demonstrated that the goto functions well in both axes. You will also need a means to power it so a powerbank is likely going to be next on your list.