NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Problem with Atik 16 ic

Hi All,

1st time out for ages, and would'nt you know it the camera did'nt want to play.

It kept coming up "USB error detected, etc". If I exited the programme, and re-entered it came up camera not detected, unless I unplugged the USB and started again.

Trouble is everytime I started again It followed the same pattern.

TRIED

1) 3 different USB cables, no joy.

2) Moving laptop away from all sources of power, no different

3) Reloading Atik software.

4) Tried other things in USB ports, no problem, so ruled that out.

I had this problem when I 1st got the camera and a new lead from Bern seemed to help.

Have only used the camera 4 or 5 times, and have had this problem occasionally but it usually rights itself, but not this time.

PLEASE HELP, any ideas anyone I would be very grateful.

Trudie

I have this problem now and again Trudie. I reckoned it being an iffy USB cable but if you've had the same issue, I'm not so sure. What I have done is to close down Artemis capture and power down the camera. Make sure the USB is in properly and start it all up again. bit annoying but it normally sorts it out. Have you got the latest version of the capture software? (I'm assuming you use it!)

Tony..

I would think Trudie has Tony as the camera is pretty new, but i guess its worth a try to see if it has the latest software, but my gut feeling is its a Camera fault USB connection to camera,i suppose we could eliminate this by sticking my Atik on to prove a point.

Rog

Also, if your laptop gets cold Trudie, this can cause havoc!! -6 at Kielder taught me that!!

The USB connections are on the edge of the main board and so susceptible to getting cold first

Hi All

Checked , It was running 3.04.02, so uploaded newer version, it came in at 3.07, this was updated by artemis on 6th Jan.

It has a few icons on the screen I never had before.

Have to wait until clear (AND DRY) again now to try it. I just hope it is something simple.

BTW was'nt running laptop on battery, had it plugged in. Also tried an amoured (I think its called) USB.

Rog and I think it may have been something to do with the USB and camera picking up interference from the powerpacks,

Anyone else experienced this.

Still hopefully none of this will happen once I'm in the obsy and the power is all in the warm room.

Trudie

Trudie the USB cannot get interfered with by the power packs as they are not an alternating current source. It would be wise to get a powered hub as has been suggested before, this is most likely to be the cause of the problem. The laptop USB output 5V supply is probably dipping below the minimum required voltage of the ATIK camera when the camera takes maximum current.

Regards

Kevin

Trudie,

By way of an example .....

I have an external USB drive. The supplied cable has a plug at one end to fit the drive and two USB plugs at the other end to fit into the computer. The instructions say to plug in one only and if that does not work plug in both. The drive works with my desktop using one plug but I have to use both plugs with my laptop, regardless of whether the laptop is on mains power or not. I thinks this illustrates that some USB ports are able to supply a bit more power than others even though they should have a standard rating.

Mike

If thats the case then Kev , how come if i turn the light on in my dome , i get a USB error come up when i,m imaging. hence i no longer turn the dome light on, just use a torch,if i need to go in there,no more problems then , the surge in some cases does effect it , now in my warm room well away from the camera USB i can turn as many lights or power switches on ,and all is ok, its only when i turn the dome light on does this happen , its not a problem for me as i know what causes it, but it does prove that ,elec surge can cause this problem.

Rog

Archived