NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ngc 891 and Abell 347

wimvb

Ngc 891 is an edge-on galaxy in the constellation of Andromeda, at a distance of 30 Mly. It has a tidal structure, but this is so weak that (to my knowledge) no amateur has yet been able to image, although R. Jay GaBany has come close. Because ngc 891 is located behind galactic cirrus from our own galaxy, it has a red appearance. I toned this down slightly in my image.

Opposite the bright star HD14771 is galaxy cluster Abell 347. The members of this cluster are similar in size to ngc 891, but 8 times further away. The brightest galaxy in this cluster is ngc 910, to the left and near the bottom of my image. The edge on galaxy below ngc 891 is ngc 898, a member of Abell 347.

https://www.cosmotography.com/images/ngc891_galactic_cirrus_comparison.html

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/2041-8205/714/1/L12/pdf

I collected the data for this image during a few clearish nights this month, just before the moon put a stop to rgb imaging.

This was also first light for the ASI290 mini guide camera. The kit is coming together nicely now.

Gear used:

• MN190 DS on a SW AZ-EQ6 mount with OAG and ASI290 mini
  • ZWO ASI294MM-PRO with Optolong LRGB filters
  • Total integration time: 15.5 hours
  • L: 344 x 90 s
  • R: 55 x 150 s
  • G: 48 x 150 s
  • B: 62 x 150 s

Processed in PixInsight.

ngc891_LRGB2.thumb.jpg.25b7968a5ebb0a056d0185ab1daecb35.jpg

• Like 20

21 minutes ago, johngm said:

Fantastic shot, and captured a lot of fuzzies in there 👍

Thanks. When viewed from any of those galaxies, we live in a fuzzy. That kind of puts things in perspective, doesn’t it?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, callisto said:

Lovely image, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Mark

7 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Brilliant image alongside some great framing to tell the story and squeeze in so much.  It was well worth spending the time at 1:1 looking over the areas highlighted in your text.

Thanks, guys.

On 30/11/2020 at 21:50, wimvb said:

Thanks. When viewed from any of those galaxies, we live in a fuzzy. That kind of puts things in perspective, doesn’t it?

Especially in these fuzzy times! Very nice image by the way!

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1