SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Easy targets to process?

SmokeyJoe

During my planning session for tonight's supposedly clear skies (once again mid Norfolk is covered in fog).  It occurs to me that there are certain well known 'beginners' targets that are relitivly easy to image such as Andromeda or the Pleiades.  Are there similar easier targets to process using only DSS and photshop? 

• Like 1

When the Moon is out of the way the Double Cluster in Perseus is quite easy and the Triangulum Galaxy in the Triangulum constellation is worth a go.  The moon is going to be bright tonight though. You could photograph that. 

Edited by Ouroboros

1 hour ago, Erling G-P said:

Easy to process and easy to image may be two different things though.  While you could say that Andromeda is easy to image, in that it's hard not to get something when you try, I actually found it quite tricky to process in my last attempt.

This is what  I meant when I asked the question, as a newbie it might be good to have a list of targets that are easy to process. 

59 minutes ago, Jm1973 said:

M42 is easy.

It's certainly easy to capture but, like M31, with such a large dynamic range, I would suggest neither are particularly  easy to process to get the full details out of them (but of course they are probably two of the easiest DS objects to capture an image).

• Like 1

JTOL. Processing?

Perhaps the easiest image to process is the one with the best/most data, least gradient, taken at new moon etc... Choose any target and get as much data as you can e.g. high in the sky 3 hours either side of the meridian on as many nights as you can.

Cheers

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1