Basic Astrophotography

jammyg

Hi

Posted a couple of weeks ago around a beginner telescope for the family including kids and finally settled on the Celestron StarSense Explorer DX102AZ, with the NEYXZ phone adaptor, and moon filter. 

Since the purchase, Ive been looking at photography and trying to understand what is capable with this kit?  Am I restricted to planets and the moon or is it possible to do more with a longer shutter time? 

Also, the GOTO scopes with motorised bases (Nexstar90 for example), do they slowly move with the earths spin or is it more of a jerk movement every now and then to keep the object centered? 

I've already spent way more than I wanted on a hobby Im not even sure the kids will take up, but the photography side really interests me.  Please could someone point me in the direction of a group that does this with basic kit?  (i.e no mechanical base and smartphone for example - if such thing exists !)

Thanks !

Hope the DX102 works well for you, with good eyepieces it should show well and the starsense should make it easy to use as a push-to scope.

I can't say much on the imaging front as I don't, but for a manual mount esp alt-AZ which the DX will be, planets would be possible by capturing video and stacking the output. You could do that with the smartphone on the NeXYZ holder.

Long exposure would need a tracking mount and ideally EQ rather than Alt-AZ so you get tracking while maintaining orientation. Thing with serious imaging, you'd need to spend quite a bit for a decent mount and tripod, something like an EQ5 tho some have used the EQ3-2 to get started if budget is limited. An RA motor will then track but you'd need guiding for optimal results, a slippery slope for the wallet awaits...

Edited by DaveL59
  • Thanks 1

I think with your current scope you're limited to snapshots of the Moon.  Video of planets as Dave suggests would probably need to be longer than what is possible with a non-motorized mount, but others please correct me if this assumption is wrong.

The motorized mounts would all be tracking constantly, rather than the abrupt jerk you mention.

Cheapest way to get into Deep Sky Imaging is probably a Star Adventurer or similar mount, and a DSLR with suitable lens(es).

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jammyg said:

Please could someone point me in the direction of a group that does this with basic kit?  (i.e no mechanical base and smartphone for example - if such thing exists !)

A lot of us who are primarily visual observers, use smartphones to capture pictures, but you are limited to what can be captured with this. The moon and bigger planets is certainly possible with this outfit but when it comes to DSOs it will be tricky. You could perhaps get pictures of things like Orion nebula but they wouldnt be as spectacular as ones taken with DSLRs. Having said that smartphones are evolving rapidly and I am sure in the near future the cameras will have all the features to be able to take better images.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Erling G-P said:

I think with your current scope you're limited to snapshots of the Moon.  Video of planets as Dave suggests would probably need to be longer than what is possible with a non-motorized mount, but others please correct me if this assumption is wrong.

The motorized mounts would all be tracking constantly, rather than the abrupt jerk you mention.

Cheapest way to get into Deep Sky Imaging is probably a Star Adventurer or similar mount, and a DSLR with suitable lens(es).

Thanks, so something like this would be better?

https://www.costco.co.uk/Sports-Spas-Leisure/Optics/Telescope-Spotting-Scope/Celestron-NexStar-102-SLT-Refractor-Telescope-with-Fully-Automated-Hand-Control/p/163899

Really depends what you are hoping to do. Equatorial mounts are I believe the better option for long exposure DSO as with alt-AZ your target will slowly rotate as it strolls across the sky. You can overcome that with a camera rotator (not cheap) perhaps where an EQ mount doesn't need it. The scope you list in costco is also al alt-AZ albeit computerised goto. It'll track but in up-right steps rather than a smooth arc.

Others who image would be able to give better advise tho.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DaveL59 said:

Really depends what you are hoping to do. Equatorial mounts are I believe the better option for long exposure DSO as with alt-AZ your target will slowly rotate as it strolls across the sky. You can overcome that with a camera rotator (not cheap) perhaps where an EQ mount doesn't need it. The scope you list in costco is also al alt-AZ albeit computerised goto. It'll track but in up-right steps rather than a smooth arc.

Others who image would be able to give better advise tho.

Thanks Dave

I understand the difference now of AZ and EQ - and the cost differences between them.  Will maybe park the photography side until I am sure the hobby takes off.  (I hope it does)!

Thanks again

1 minute ago, jammyg said:

Will maybe park the photography side until I am sure the hobby takes off.  (I hope it does)!

I would suggest you learn to use your existing scope and enjoy the experience. I have used the phone to capture pictures of the moon & larger planets using a non-driven mount, so it is feasible :) Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AstroMuni said:

I would suggest you learn to use your existing scope and enjoy the experience. I have used the phone to capture pictures of the moon & larger planets using a non-driven mount, so it is feasible :) Good luck!

I second this...it really is a slippery slope and can be highly highly frustrating

probably best at least on the DSO side. As said, you can still hook the camera up and do the moon and planets and then see if its really something you want to develop further.

I have an old Philips SPC900 webcam that has a 1.25-inch adaptor on it and have briefly played with that but results so far have been poor. Not helped of course by testing on the wobbly LT70AZ but limited time and it being the lighter and easier unit to pop outside... One day I'll get the EQ5-syscan set up and give it a proper try when skies are clearer and I've the patience to do all the setup and then getting the target onto the sensor etc. I did order a T2 adaptor for the new DSLR so may try that one day, but I'm more visual so it'd be more experimental than anything for me. Not sure I want to be shelling out a small fortune for UHC/Oiii and other filters, guidescope etc nor spending hours capturing data to process.

1 hour ago, jammyg said:

As others have already commented, an AZ mount is not the best for DSO imaging.   Would recommend this book as an intro to imaging: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html