Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Neptune in my Bins

Pybo

I was out tonight watching the ISS appearing near Saturn and Jupiter about 6,55pm 22nd Nov.

Anyway, it disappeared quickly into the shadow well before getting to where the moon is sitting.

So, i was looking at the moon with my 10x50s ....lovely indeed. I opened Stellarium on my phone and realised that Neptune was close to the Moon about quarter of the way to Mars on the left.

Using star hopping thru Aquarius i eventually found it!!! Needed averted vision thru the binos but i could definitely see it! My first ever time.

What a buzz, 5 planets in 15 mins...and Neptune!! 

Uranus is my next mission.. 

Can ya tell im excited lol

• Like 14

Ha ! Better luck (or skill) than me ... I've had determined attempts on three separate nights with my heritage 150 to find Neptune, all failed . To be more accurate, I probably did see it, as I scanned the correct area slowly and carefully ... I just didn't recognize it as anything but another star . I'm hoping the 127 mak I've added to my kit might help, but at the moment I'm still getting used to it and the alt/az mount.

Uranus though, I managed to find that with the dob and see the distinct but tiny bluish disc, it was roughly half way between Mars and the Pleiades as I recall .

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Ha ! Better luck (or skill) than me ... I've had determined attempts on three separate nights with my heritage 150 to find Neptune, all failed . To be more accurate, I probably did see it, as I scanned the correct area slowly and carefully ... I just didn't recognize it as anything but another star . I'm hoping the 127 mak I've added to my kit might help, but at the moment I'm still getting used to it and the alt/az mount.

Uranus though, I managed to find that with the dob and see the distinct but tiny bluish disc, it was roughly half way between Mars and the Pleiades as I recall .

I dont think it was skill, more beginners luck 😃

I went out later, around 10,45pm as the moon was still up, and found it again..using the star hopping from earlier.

Binoculars are easy to sweep around with wide field of view. Ive not got a scope as of yet but can imagine its a little more tricky to find very dim objects?

My Son has a 150 heritage sat in its packaging (xmas pressie for his stepdaughter) sat right next to the window that i was looking out of!

Uranus is my next challenge, that will be all the planets done for me 😊

I found Andromeda a while back just star hopping and intend to give this another longer look. 

On 22/11/2020 at 19:23, Pybo said:

I was out tonight watching the ISS appearing near Saturn and Jupiter about 6,55pm 22nd Nov.

Anyway, it disappeared quickly into the shadow well before getting to where the moon is sitting.

So, i was looking at the moon with my 10x50s ....lovely indeed. I opened Stellarium on my phone and realised that Neptune was close to the Moon about quarter of the way to Mars on the left.

Using star hopping thru Aquarius i eventually found it!!! Needed averted vision thru the binos but i could definitely see it! My first ever time.

What a buzz, 5 planets in 15 mins...and Neptune!! 

Uranus is my next mission.. 

Can ya tell im excited lol

That's a good sweep. 10x50s are very versatile. Mine are used more than the telescopes at the moment due to the unpredictable weather...

If you could spot Neptune, then Uranus should be a cinch. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/11/2020 at 13:22, mikeyj1 said:

I'll swap you my sighting of Uranus for your Neptune as i did that for the first time last night :)

Good work...

Well....Uranus is in the bag tonight.. using Aries and Cetus i star hopped and found it. 

Full moon tonight but nice and clear so wasnt too hard to find. You could make out the bluey green hue too.

Also took a look at the Andromeda Galaxy and the double Alberio? In Cygnus. These binos are addictive 

• Like 1