NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heq5 not slewing

Hi,

i recently got an HEQ5 mount and I tried to set it up today. I powered it and connected the hand controller but when I try to slew it to an object, it just makes the slewing sound but doesn’t do anything. I set up my lat, long etc on the SynScan. Any idea why? 

3 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Are you using the direction keys on the handset or issuing a go-to command to move the mount?

On the controller I selected No to alignment and then selected the object. Controller says the mount is slewing but nothing happens. I tried directional keys as well. Nothing! It just makes the sound

Set it all up in your living room and take a video, double check all the clutches are engaged...you can also take the side panel off the mount to see what the gears are doing.

Take a video and post it up here and someone may be able to help.

Hello Mohib, if the clutches are locked so you can't reposition the mount by hand and you can hear the mount driving, it could be driving at such a slow speed that you may not notice it. Ramp the speed up using the controller and see what happens. Hope it helps.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, M40 said:

Hello Mohib, if the clutches are locked so you can't reposition the mount by hand and you can hear the mount driving, it could be driving at such a slow speed that you may not notice it. Ramp the speed up using the controller and see what happens. Hope it helps.

I tried with 9 and nothing. Just makes the slewing sound and it doesn’t move. I’ll post a video of soon. 

56 minutes ago, johngm said:

Have you tried moving the mount off the hand controller in both RA and DEC  ?

Do you mean manually? Unlocking the clutch then moving in both axis, then yes I’ve. 

Edited by Mohib

50 minutes ago, Mohib said:

Do you mean manually? Unlocking the clutch then moving in both axis, then yes I’ve. 

No, clutches need to remain locked. Lock clutches, power up mount, then operate the up/down and left/right arrow keys on the hand controller. Left/right is your Ra movement, and up down is you Dec movement. and has as been said, make sure your speed is set to 9

John

Forgot to add, with the clutches locked, make sure you cannot physically turn the mount by hand. Just place your hand on the counterweight  bar, and gently push on it, see if you can move it. Only need light pressure. If it moves, then your clutches aren't engaging. You can try this before you power it up. Don't push to hard though, because no matter how good the clutches, it will move. 

1 hour ago, johngm said:

Forgot to add, with the clutches locked, make sure you cannot physically turn the mount by hand. Just place your hand on the counterweight  bar, and gently push on it, see if you can move it. Only need light pressure. If it moves, then your clutches aren't engaging. You can try this before you power it up. Don't push to hard though, because no matter how good the clutches, it will move. 

Yep I made sure they’re locked and it doesn’t slew. Please check the video I posted 

1 minute ago, johngm said:

Very strange Noise. Have you tried to move it yet with the Up/Down Left/Right large arrow keys ? all i could see you do in the video is slew via the goto function

Yes I tried that. Nothing happens. Just makes the same sound. 

1 minute ago, johngm said:

Very strange Noise. Have you tried to move it yet with the Up/Down Left/Right large arrow keys ? all i could see you do in the video is slew via the goto function

I am trying to establish if its happening on both axis

2 minutes ago, johngm said:

Forgot to add, I turned on the mount. On the controller I pushed the arrow keys, nothing is happening. Yesterday I was able to select the slew rate but as of now, I’m not able to select. Is there anything I have to do prior to selecting the rate?

7 minutes ago, johngm said:

I am trying to establish if its happening on both axis

Just now, johngm said:

It could well be a problem with the motor control board or a software problem. It might be worth trying a factory reset on the hand controller. Did you purchase it New ?

Yes it’s new. 
here’s the video of me just trying it with the hand controller. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14Ne7NRfUWYFdE50mssHk9fyc6sMS7UgN/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by Mohib

You should be able to move the mount without altering any settings when it is powered up just by using the big arrow keys on the Hand controller. Its might be worth contacting the vendor where you purchased it from. Usually, they are very helpful