NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC1848 - Soul Nebula

Miguel1983

Hi, 

this is my latest image and the first of the Soul Nebula.

The image was taken with the TS76EDPH @ 342mm F4.5 and ZWO 1600mm pro on the HEQ pro Rowan

Integration time is 25hrs, 100 x 5min for each filter S, H and O.

IC1848_SHO.thumb.jpg.56a5b544c2680389229f203dbb4f5111.jpg

Thanks  for looking, commenting...

Edited by Miguel1983
  • Like 14

6 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Stars look like they are very slightly out of focus?

Is this due to optics, processing or indeed focusing issue?

Probably processing, i don’t like overly bright stars on a nebula, so i took the stars out with starnet, worked on the nebula and put them back 0,8x with pixelmath, and i pulled the highlights down twice on the stars.

Just now, Miguel1983 said:

Probably processing, i don’t like overly bright stars on a nebula, so i took the stars out with starnet, worked on the nebula and put them back 0,8x with pixelmath, and i pulled the highlights down twice on the stars.

Probably better way to do it would be like this:

Do basic linear stretch on all three channels and convert to 16bit. This ensure that you keep good data resolution "at the bottom of the range" and yet to have 16bit data for starnet.

Take one channel - usually Ha as stars tend to be tightest there and after star removal in starnet - do subtraction so you are left with star only image.

Do your processing on starless data and combination and then layer star only image with very slight stretch over final starless composition. This ensures that you get your stars back in, that they are white (no annoying purple fringes and weird colors) and they are tight. With level of stretch you can decide how much "presence" you want from them - if you don't really like emphasis on stars - just do slight stretch on them before blending.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mackiedlm said:

Well I think thats a really nice image and would be delighted to produce something as good as that. My eyes, screen or both are obviously not sharp enough as I'm not seeing anything wrong with the stars.

Same here.....nice image :)

• Thanks 1