Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ6 Slewing Problem - very frustrating...

Dave

Hi All,

I recently purchased a new EQ6 mount.

It all seemed excellent, until I tried slewing across the sky.

It seems to make a clunk and stop completely, sometimes even when slewing to its first alignment star.

I was led to believe it was an IO error (Idiot Operator Error) and a counterbalance problem. I have checked and rechecked the balance and all seems to be OK adding some extra weights as required.

The problem seems to be intermittent, on many nights it's a problem, some nights it doesn't happen at all and works beautifully.

I knew going back to an equatorial mount would be a flipping steep learning curve, but this takes the biscuit.

I have just tried mounting my 80mm scope (Instead of my 10" SCT) alone on there and making sure that was counterbalanced properly, but quess what? Yes, the same problem is still occurring.

Surely the counter balance shouldn't be that sensitive, should it?

Has anyone come across this problem?

If so, do you have any suggestions to rectify it, apart from taking it back?

Cheers

Dave

My first thoughts are on the power supply. Are you using a battery or a mains adapter capable of 2 amps?

Or it could be a case of the power jack getting lose intermittently. The EQ6 has a loose socket and my jack has come off a few times. But in this case, your handset would show the intro message.

Regards,

Vincent.

This could be the gears not meshing properly or an electronic problem. You need to describe the fault in detail to your supplier. Mine had a fault a bit like yours - turned ut to be a faulty unit on the electronics board. Don't forget a good power supply is needed it must give at least 2/3 amps.

John

Hi Dave,

The balance isn't that critical, I often mount a 10" f/6.3 newt and a 70mm frac with cameras and 4 counterweights - I never get the balance spot on and it always runs okay.

I would tend to agree with Vincent; power is usually the problem, either a poor supply or poor cable / connection. Look out for the power LED on the mount flickering slightly when slewing at full speed, that's a sure sign of power problems.

Other than that, call your supplier and talk it through with them, it's rare but not unknown to get a faulty one.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks for those suggestions.

I have noticed the flickering light when slewing, but I thought this was normal.

I'm using a power supply that was provided with the mount, so I thought this SHOULD be OK.

Ah Ha!! Thanks to your suggestions pointing me to the power supply, I think I may have it cracked!!!

I checked the setup and the extension cable from the power supply to the mount (supplied by the manufacturer, I might add) doesn't seem to be man enough for the job. When the extension lead is used, the light flickers when slewing. Without the extension lead, the light is solid. Hopefully when I get a bit of time tomorrow evening to set everything back up again, I hope it will behave itself. So, perhaps not quite idiot operator error after all.

Cheers folks.

Dave

The ones ( power tank ) that used to be supplied ( don't get one now) took ages to fully charge ( 3 days ?? ). The light on my EQ6 stays steady even when slewing. I replaced the supplied power lead with a more substancial one from " Astronomiser" and run the mount from a Maplins 5A bench power unit.

John

I bought an Astronomiser cable from the off, (and a set of replacement altitude bolts from Ian King - you'll need those too). I did have the flickering LED problem once even with the beefed-up cable. I was running with the power cable coiled up as it was too long and I was trying to be tidy - coiled power cables create induction or some such electrickery problem and that causes the same symptoms as a poor quality cable.

My EQ6 that I purchased new from FLO in late October last year went back for repairs this week :) . I followed the PSU route and ended buying a Maplins XM19 10A bench PSU and some custom length cables from Andy at Astronomiser. Unfortunately, this did not resolve the issues I was experiencing (similar to what you've expressed re. slewing, etc. except the LED never flickered on my mount). I suspect the issue with my mount is either a faulty cable from the handset to the mount or the control board is damaged in some way (I sometimes got the 'No Link to M.C. - stand alone mode' message on the handset). Either way, I hope you don't end up suffering from the same issues?!

I had a bash out there in the murk tonight before the clouds rolled in - AGAIN!!!

I put the scope back on the mount and the 80mm piggy-backed on that.

With the extension cable omittted and plugging the main lead out of the power supply directly into the mount, the scope performed flawlessly, easily whizzing from one hemisphere to the other and the objects were always in the field of view. And importantly, didn't freeze on me. Yippee!

Perhaps I will now start to enjoy this mount now?

So situation normal now. Working kit, lots of cloud... Uhm!!!!

Don't be fooled into thinking that these modern all singing all dancing mounts are ultra reliable, they're not. They do go wrong (my HEQ5 didn't work out of the box), it's easy to think it's finger trouble when it's a duff mount, however the replacement I received has worked flawlessly and I always power it from the mains.

Yep , excellent news , Dave.

No more problems from now on - where have all those clouds come from ? :)

John

They come from "new scope" or "problem solved" radar tracking station.

Anyway good to know its all working now. Btw, I used my batteries only for the first few sessions and then I ditched them for mains. I use mains even for my Canon 350D.

Regards,

Vincent.

Archived