NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

1st telescope

4 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

There is also the heritage 150p. There's a thread on that fairly new telescope

And it's made this relative beginner very happy, as it is hugely superior to the Celestron114 on wobbly imprecise EQ I inherited and found awkward and unsatisfactory to cart outside and line up.  However, I can't compare it (yet) to any other 'scope , so all I can say is it ticked all the boxes for easy storage, good portability. straightforward use, and value (in terms of diameter to ££s) for me.

• Thanks 1

Bear in mind that the starsense scopes aren't all great. The LX range while cheap are very wobbly because of the poor mount, the DX variants are better mounted. Also the Newts in the range may all be of Bird-Jones variety which while they do work can be harder to collimate and may not be sharp across the field. The starsense app tho does make life much easier especially if you aren't that familiar with the sky (I will say that I'm not lol) so for a beginner they aren't bad at all. Phone specs' well native Android 7.1 or above or the fruity 6 or above should work but check their website for compatibility. You can always download the app to check, tho it won't do the platesolve/directions part without the unlock code which you only get with the scope.

I have recently got the LT70AZ and can say that while wobbly it isn't all that bad if you accept the limitations of low-cost build, gives quite good views with decent eyepieces. Upside tho is very light and easy to pick up and carry out to where you want to use it or shift around for better viewing locations as the night goes by. Just been playing with it now I've added a cheap Tasco motor focuser, which makes it far more usable, minimal wobbles when adjusting focus and easier to achieve fine focus adjustment. I would say to budget for better eyepieces in all cases and diagonal if you get their refractors. I've used Svbony zooms that work well with it (7-21mm and 8-24mm) as well as TAL and Vixen eyepieces. Never yet tried the ones supplied, too much effort to open the plastic bags when I already have better ones ready to go 😉 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

There is also the heritage 150p. There's a thread on that fairly new telescope

Yes. You should at least check this scope out. Lots of good reviews on this site. It is currently in stock in lots of shops, too.

• Thanks 1

If you buy a non goto scope you can see how you fare moving it manually and if you want to buy a motorised upgrade later you can do that.  Alternatively you may wish to upgrade to a bigger scope with or without motor depending on your budget-Buying a cheaper scope as an absolute beginner would seem to be the way to go- you are correct put your money into the scope first then if you like it you can start looking at all the fancy gadgetry -all the people on the forum are really patient and will be willing to add their two pennarth". just dont be hasty -read the forum-ask the questions-listen to the pros and cons and then buy- whatever happens then you will feel that you spent enough consideration and didn't rush in half cock.

Edited by jacobingonzo
  • Thanks 1

I bought the 150p explorer on an Eq 3 2 Equatorial mount recently. Second hand and good price. It's reasonably portable. Though awkward rather than heavy. I can easily carry it. It takes a minute to unscrew the scope from the mount. ( size wise I transport it on back seat of a ford fiesta easily) note there are 2 150P models.Mines the 750f5 . ( the 150pl is longer and heavier and possibly too much for the mount ) 

I've just added motors for tracking . They also mean I'm not touching controls which introduces vibration. canon dslr mounts easily and focussing isn't a problem. 

Many people will say the mount is not good enough for photography. It may not be ideal but it can be done. The tripod is probably the weakest link as it's aluminium and can vibrate. 

I'm going to give it a go anyway. If I have to upgrade the mount in future I still have a good telescope. 

So far I'm impressed. I have got better Eyepieces already although those it comes with are fine to start with. Images show motors .motor handset and full assembly for reference that's a 22 inch pc monitor.

I did consider looking for go to but decided against due to cost and the fact I wasn't  learning.  Phone apps a simple planisphere and just observing without the telescope are all teaching me to find things myself. Views through a telescope aren't going to give you Hubble type clarity but it's you observing in real time and for me that's priceless. Saturn's rings Jupiter and 4 Moons are easily observed .I was amazed just looking at our own moon in detail. 

20201107_175136.jpg

20201107_175050.jpg

20201107_175026.jpg

Edited by Matt61
Added images
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/11/2020 at 18:38, Webby said:

I've been looking to buy my 1st telescope, I've trawled the web and  uTube  and I'm now more confused, I've been recommend a skywatcher explorer 130p, another person said to look for something around 8in. I've just seen a skywatcher explorer 150p, which I like the look of,is there much difference between 130 and 150 and should I go for motorised.any advise would be appropriate,thanks

Are you the kind of person who doesn't like constantly adjusting things?

If so, I have to pretty much repeat myself from another post here and suggest an achromatic refractor in the 100-120mm category. That with a fringe-killer / semi apo filter, such as the one by Baader plus a few decent eyepieces and a good barlow would be great on many levels.

It won't be perfect, but it won't cost an arm and a leg. You'll probably love it too as it will make a fantastic grab and go for the times when you only have a few minutes. 

• Thanks 1

On 06/11/2020 at 12:38, Webby said:

I've been looking to buy my 1st telescope, I've trawled the web and  uTube  and I'm now more confused, I've been recommend a skywatcher explorer 130p, another person said to look for something around 8in. I've just seen a skywatcher explorer 150p, which I like the look of,is there much difference between 130 and 150 and should I go for motorised.any advise would be appropriate,thanks

The worst thing you can do is to rush in making a decision, and without knowing what's out there.

Per your budget, there are two telescopes, perhaps a third, available to you.

A Newtonian: mounted on either an alt-azimuth or equatorial tripod, or a Dobson-type alt-azimuth...

353790001_Newtonian-mountoptions.jpg.a2e761d7534296e9d30a3272382e1bc7.jpg

Newtonians require collimation on occasion, upon arrival to check and confirm after the trip from the factory overseas, and thereafter but usually only a tweak or two to maintain.  The physically shorter the Newtonian, the more difficult to collimate; the shorter, the greater the difficulty in reaching the higher and highest powers of which the aperture of the telescope is capable.  Higher powers also require a more accurate collimation than the lower powers; and for sharp, pleasing images.  In addition, the aberration, coma, increases as the telescope becomes shorter.  On the plus side, the views through a Newtonian are false-colour free, regardless of the telescope's length.  Also, mirrors are easier and cheaper to manufacture than lenses, therefore you get more light-gathering aperture for the same outlay of funds, compared to a refractor.  Newtonians are not suitable for terrestrial observations.   

A refractor(achromat): mounted on either an alt-azimuth or equatorial tripod...

140100550_Refractor-mountoptions.jpg.6b00cf8afbd51fcf7af15019f720cae1.jpg

The objective of a refractor consists of two matched lenses, usually a doublet of crown and flint glasses, instead of a mirror.  A refractor is more tightly constructed, in design and build, therefore collimation is rarely if ever required; minimal to no maintenance.  Refractors oft ooze quality, and instill pride-of-ownership; not that other types do not, but not to the extent of a fine refractor.  The shorter the achromat, the more false-colour is seen when viewing brighter objects.  Again, the shorter, the more difficulty in reaching the higher powers, which is what any telescope is for in the first place, to see faraway objects up close.  Else, you'd use your eyes or a pair of binoculars for the lower powers.  Folks do choose the shorter telescopes for ergonomic considerations(ease in handling and storing), but unfortunately oft over optical performance in the process; a Schmidt-Cassegrain comes to my mind, also, in that.  

A refractor has an unobstructed aperture; no "junk" in between your eye and the object being observed.  All mirrored telescopes possess a secondary-obstruction, with Newtonians having supportive spider-vanes which can degrade the images further.  Such acts as a cataract of the human-eye.  The apertures of a refractor and a Newtonian compared...

1503672952_Refractor-Newtonianapertures.jpg.5fbd1c408bb061d19a5876e7fa116c81.jpg

As you can see, that of all refractors is unobstructed; no "junk" to degrade the view.  For the same outlay of funds, the aperture of a refractor will be smaller.  Those who dwell in light-polluted areas oft suggest a large "Dobsonian" off the cuff, but in that you enjoy darker skies you do have the option of choosing a smaller aperture, and with little to no disappointment.

A third option is a Maksutov-Cassegrain, with the same mounting options as the other two types of telescopes, however with a Dobson-type tabletop alt-azimuth.  A 127mm f/15 Maksutov of my own, and mounted on a manual alt-azimuth...

kit3b.jpg.f06718c5ef14c2e557af090d31e561d3.jpg 

If ever there was a telescope to see faraway objects up close, a Maksutov is it.  It's like a microscope, but for the sky; also for terrestrial observations during the day and night(along with refractors); birds in trees, ships at sea, and surveillance even.  Maksutovs have rather long focal-lengths.  They need help to "see", to find their way round the sky.  A large finder-scope helps, as well as a go-to alt-azimuth or go-to equatorial.  Among all telescopes that use mirrors to form an image, a Maksutov comes closest to simulating a refractor in optical performance.  A Maksutov does have a secondary-obstruction as well, but without the spider-vanes of a Newtonian...

OTA4b.jpg.411b0a25fec141870e2e519f3b6a27af.jpg

Maksutovs require adjusting to the outdoor conditions, acclimation, and before beginning to observe.  That can take an hour or more.  Some store their Maksutovs outdoors, protected of course, and to be ready when they are.

• Thanks 1