Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1st telescope

I've been looking to buy my 1st telescope, I've trawled the web and  uTube  and I'm now more confused, I've been recommend a skywatcher explorer 130p, another person said to look for something around 8in. I've just seen a skywatcher explorer 150p, which I like the look of,is there much difference between 130 and 150 and should I go for motorised.any advise would be appropriate,thanks

Hi

A few thoughts that could help shape replies you might get.

Will storage location of a telescope be far from where you plan to observe.

Are there stairs between storage and observing location.

Do you have expectations to photograph what you observe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for reply, the telescope would be stored upstairs when not in use, the SW150p doesn't look to bulky compaired to the dob mounted ones, it also has capacity to take a camera which is something I would like to do once I've  got a bit of experience 

If you have stairs involved then it's likely at least two trips to get it down and setup. I would look at pictures of people with their telescopes to get a feel for bulk size. There are some excellent threads on the site called 'show us you xxxx'. 

I gather the tripod with the 150p eq3-2 is a better model than on the 130p eq2. The 650mm long 130p doesn't come into focus with a mirrored DSLR camera. Taking photos is a whole new spectrum and can be dipped into by pointing a phone camera at an eyepiece (afocal) or by using the telescope as a giant lens using what might already be owned like a DSLR or a webcam (prime focus). Webcams can be used (with webcam lens removed) on the Moon or larger planets. Deep space objects often need longer exposures (motorised tracking mount ideally equatorial) to bring them out and it's a whole nother area to process them. Many deep space objects are huge and a suitable camera with camera lens could be used. Mounts have payload weights and observing is less demanding on a mount then imaging where wind wobble impacts images.

Observing and imaging are two different areas and using one set of equipment to perform both can involve compromises. It's trying to identify what fits what you are after while recognising it may not be a perfect fit. 

If a DSLR is already owned then there's scope to use it on a static mount and have fun learning static tripod night sky images.

• Thanks 1

Forgetting all about photography for now, do you think it's  worth paying extra for the skywatcher explorer 150p synscan over the 130p, is there much difference ,  I started looking at telescopes for about £150 last week, it's now gone up to £550, I need to draw the line somewhere.

53 minutes ago, Webby said:

Thanks for reply, the telescope would be stored upstairs when not in use, the SW150p doesn't look to bulky compaired to the dob mounted ones, it also has capacity to take a camera which is something I would like to do once I've  got a bit of experience 

Welcome to the forum, Webby!
From my experience, any scope with the GEM (German equatorial mount) on a tripod is much bulkier and heavier than a Dob of the same aperture (even if with a longer focal range).
Also, I believe that for a beginner a GEM mounted newtonian is not a good choice as it requires a lot more fiddling with the mount than a Dob or Alt/Az mount. In particular because the eyepiece is fixed on the side, so to make it convenient to use you will have to rotate the OTA nearly for every object, as you are not used to the efficient observations planning yet.

A 8" Dob was a solid all around advice, actually, as 20cm is way more capable aperture compared to 15cm. In addition, there is no way a 8" Newtonian could be considered mounted on a flimsy particle board semi-fork, which some 130/150 Newts manufacturers are calling "Tabletop Dobson", they are not even close to the real Dobsonian smoothness and rock-solid stability. So, most any 8" Dob should be a "real dobsonian" by design.

The only advantage of the GEM mount is easier guiding (tracking celestial objects), which is essential for the astrophotography. However that particular mount is not motorized, and in fact I have a doubt it is possible to image with that particular SW150p GEM through that 150mm scope. Surely, except for planets video and piggybacking a DSLR with its own lens on the OTA or on the counterweight.

• Thanks 1

You need to set some priorities. If you are definitely not going to image, you probably don't want the complication of a German equatorial mount.  If you have GoTo, it will save a lot of time and effort if you want to find faint and non-obvious objects.

The Dobsonian outfits are simple to use, and you get a lot of aperture for your money, but they don't track, and don't find objects for you (unless you go for a GoTo version.)

I found the Celestron Nexstar alt-azimuth GoTo system easy to use, a Skywatcher Synscan GoTo rather less so. 

If you live in a light-polluted area, a GoTo is particularly useful for finding non-obvious objects.

You don't have to buy the telescope and mount as a package, or even from the same manufacturer, but it usually saves you money.

Don't get over-ambitious with your first telescope - just get something that works properly, as you will probably upgrade if the astro bug bites.

• Thanks 1

Have a heritage 130p here. I use it on and upturned bucket or the floor while sat on a garden chair as don't have a garden table. It fitted on price, portability and storage and have had some great views like a Jupiter moon shadow transit (have upgraded the high powered eyepiece). The telescope can also be used on other mounts as it uses a standard vixen style bar. I've used a webcam on it to take the Moon and I'm hoping to get Mars but clouds have stopped that.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for a the advise, so you think something like a skywatcher skyliner 200p dob would be better,  As a complete novice having never used a telescope before  are dob  mounted telescopes easy to track because from what I can see they have no slow motion  levers

Perhaps a 6” dob? Lot smaller and easier to carry down stairs in two parts.

The new Bresser 6” looks very good. More expensive than the Skywatcher 6” but better specification and build quality.

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/bresser6-planet-dobsonian.html#SID=1739

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

This is the trouble, I haven't got a clue about telescopes  and all I wanted to do  is look at a few stars, my mind changes every 5 minutes, I was going to order the skywatcher explorer 150p synscan tomorrow, I live in the middle  of nowhere with hardly any light pollution, Is this a bad move, thanks everyone 

5 minutes ago, Webby said:

This is the trouble, I haven't got a clue about telescopes  and all I wanted to do  is look at a few stars, my mind changes every 5 minutes, I was going to order the skywatcher explorer 150p synscan tomorrow, I live in the middle  of nowhere with hardly any light pollution, Is this a bad move, thanks everyone 

It might be a good idea to delay the telescope buying until (and if) you get further into the subject, it's a pretty steep learning curve. In the meantime some 10x50 binoculars or similar would let you get some good views of stars , get you started on navigating the night sky, and are easier to carry downstairs than a whacking great dob.   There's a whole area on here relating to binoculars:

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/133-discussions-binoculars/

Heather

• Thanks 1

My advice - nearly every scope mentioned above will be great. All have strengths and weaknesses and it's not until you've had some experience yourself that you will learn to know what you want.

Pick one you fancy. You'll have a great time with any of them, esp if you have dark skies.

image.png.73d26d1b54aa6fcdaefd3870894651bc.png

• Thanks 1

Forgetting all about photography for now, do you think it's  worth paying extra for the skywatcher explorer 150p synscan over the 130p, is there much difference ,  I started looking at telescopes for about £150 last week, it's now gone up to £550, I need to draw the line somewhere.

45 minutes ago, Webby said:

Thanks for a the advise, so you think something like a skywatcher skyliner 200p dob would be better,  As a complete novice having never used a telescope before  are dob  mounted telescopes easy to track because from what I can see they have no slow motion  levers

Good Dobson is very natural to move by your bare hands including while tracking. It relies on your skills, while slow motion levers of a GEM relies on the quality of its mechanics build (which is at that price is not stellar). You can always improve your Dobsonian operation skills to perfection, but not so much (if at all) your cheap GEM "levers" :) I had all kinds of scopes and mounts but after 40+ years settled on a 12" 1:5 fully manual absolutely classic Dobsonian.

Automatic tracking is possible with any Dobsonian by adding a Poncet Equatorial Platform (DIY or purchased).

Effortless pointing with a Dobsonian for a beginner has an ultimate year-2020-born solution from Celestron called Celestron Starsense Explorer, which is utilizing your smartphone mounted on the telescope or its mount. Though, at this point you have to buy their telescope to use it. See this thread: 

So if you are concerned about finding objects in the sky and don't have time to gradually master other pointing techniques consider https://optcorp.com/collections/starsense-explorer/products/celestron-starsense-explorer-dx-130az-smartphone-reflector .

In your rural sky you can instead master great indirect pointing techniques with Telrad, which are rivaling even the expensive and uber heavy-weight motorized GoTo-mounted telescopes accuracy. I have explained the one I'm using for over a decade in my blog here: https://www.dobmod.com/2020/04/tpm-telrad-pattern-matching.html Eventually that tech will become portable to other telescopes. The point of manual pointing is to stay in touch with the sky instead of fiddling half of the night with GoTo electronics and complex mechanics.

I think, the decision should be based on your long-term goals.
If you plan to gradually master your visual astronomy skills over the years - get a large aperture Dobsonian, as it's the most rewarding.
If you want to just point at some easy targets in the sky on occasion and don't have time to learn much - get some GoTo mounted telescope you can still lift assembled (yes, solely by its weight consideration). That Celestron Starsense explorer might be much lighter, but you need a compatible smartphone.
But if a serious imaging is in your distant plans and you are an eager learner (and spending some dozens of thousands of GBP on that goal pursuing eventually is not an issue) - get a good (at least £1000) refractor or a CAT on a motorized GEM to start figuring it out right away.

• Thanks 1

So, Imaging is a priority? Heh! Well. First see my comment above. But perhaps, you have a specific idea what you want to image? (That might reduce the cost requirements).

If not sure, you might check this writeup first: https://optcorp.com/blogs/astronomy/best-astrophotography-telescopes-for-beginners?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhZT9BRDmARIsAN2E-J1WFBwpItB6J5JsQRP8t5TQlN0_n1kUpYmx2hKgzamlDtfAGvkBHDUaAgq5EALw_wcB

Edited by AlexK
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to SGL Webby

I know the feeling of the ever increasing budget as your eyes get bigger at all the loverly astronomy stuff!!- In my humble opinion spend a little time on this site (other sites are available) soaking up the knowledge and finding out what you might want. Ask questions about stuff,  the people on here are sound and very helpful.

I started out wanting a motorised scope on a mount and the budget went somewhere past Andromeda. Then the sensible voice said slow down.

Its so easy to start off buying a scope on impulse , spending lots on what you think you might want. Then finding that the things you see are nowhere like what you see in the glossy mags or on T'internet. The poor scope gets left in the garage and never sees the light of day (or night lol) again.

So the stuff the guys and gals above have suggested is good. Basically you want to know what you want to do- photos or just observing. Imaging or DSO(deep sky observing) in the geek speak. Imaging can get very expensive you really need a scope on a mount with sysncan or goto system with an appropriate camera. For Observing or DSO you can go from binoculars to a Dobsonian scope. This is obviously much less expensive. Both systems have pros and cons- look through this forum there is lots of information on each.

Theres a lot to commend just buying a small tabletop dob like the 130 and see where that takes you- look on youtube there's oodles of reviews and helpful info. Then if Astronomy is not for you then you won't have a sour taste in the mouth having spent £500 plus. However if you do get this marvellous bug well Im afraid the sky really is the limit (did you see what I did there ?) 

The SW150 will be marginally better than the 130- search on the forum for each scope and read peoples expriences.

Im a relative newbie- Ive spent lots of time on forums and have decided I want to do DSO just now- The scarcity of scopes at the moment allowed me time to think long and hard about where I wanted to start. Eventually Ive ordered a Skywatcher 300p flexitube Dob. Using a manual dob allows you to find you way around the cosmos. There are smaller and much less expensive dobs depending on your budget. I chose that because in DSO arperture is king (the size of the main mirror-bigger the mirror the more light gathering-the more you see)  Its a big beast and the Dob doesn't look as sexy as the scopes on mounts but the dob is normally moved in  2 bits the tube and the mount.  But the flex tube allows the tube to be shortened when storing or carrying. Lots of people have good things to say about this scope but there are plenty of good cheaper ones too. Listen to what the good people on here say!

Its important to make sure you know the dimensions of the scope you want to buy, for storage and carrying.

I reckon the 300 is big enough to keep me satisfied for some time but Ive seen some of the big 'uns some of the people do gravitate to. Its common to buy a scope and then you just want more- look how many scopes some of the posters on here have!!  

I hope with the help of the forum you do manage to make up your mind and the bug does bite you.

Keep us informed of how you get on

J

Edited by jacobingonzo
  • Thanks 1

Hi i had the sw 150 great scope 

I now have an 8 inch Newtonian  and a 127 refractor both are stored up stairs i have a bad back and can still get them down to use them both have handles to help so easier to carry

it really depends on you and what your staircase is like mine is a straight run 

The mount etc is stored down stairs due to the weight 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that, after looking into this for a couple of days I did come to the conclusion that with the £ I'm looking to spend I should put the £ into the telescope rather than gadgets which was a skywatcher heritage 130p, then I got my head turned by synscan etc, now you have turned me back to a dob. If I got the skywatcher skyliner 200p or the equivalent  starsense I would save £ and get a better view, I'll have a look now

Thanks, your right about this site, some great points made, This is where I'm at, After 2 weeks on utube etc getting confused I have been recommended a skywatcher explorer 130p syn and then then advised to look at something around 200mm, so I thought I would go down the middle and the skywatcher explorer 150p came up with good reviews  just spoke to a shop, They said the 150p apart from the extra app  has a far better mount than the 130p

• Like 1