Lockdown - a day observing the Solar System

Mark at Beaufort

Its 6am and yes I have started observing. Venus is very bright and looking towards the horizon I can spot Mercury.

Its now late morning and I have the 6" Newt set up with solar filter + UV/IR filter attached to the eyepiece. The large sunspot AR2781 is really something so its good that we are coming out of solar minimum (hopefully)!!

6.30pm - Heritage 130P out to observe Jupiter and Saturn - The Baader Orthos + Baader Classic barlow works well with this scope.

7pm - 9pm - Zoom talk to Herefordshire Astro Society on Venus and recent research on phosphine in the cloud areas

9pm onwards - 12" Dob which had been set up since late afternoon - started with Mars. The quality of the seeing was excellent. Using the 6mm Ethos gave me so much details and I had the best view of Syrtis Major ever. Also used the 9mm Fujiyama and 10mm Baader Classic Ortho

Next up Neptune - starting to get a bit of fog plus Moon is getting really bright but I tracked down our most distant planet. Used the Fujiyama + Baader Ortho + Baader barlow. 

Finally ended with Uranus - again used the same EPs plus star hopped with the help of the 2x40 Helios binos + 80mm finderscope.

So there we have it all the planets of the solar system in just over 15 hours.

• Like 12

Great report, that's a lot of observing. I'm not mentally strong enough or well organised enough to get  up early to observe and miss out on sessions like this as a result!

Edited by Paz