Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3 hours on M31

Spongey

A couple of nights ago I was running some tests on my Esprit 100 as detailed in this thread: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/345575-esprit-100-pinched-optics

I didn't think that the data from the night would be in any way shape or form useful other than to characterise the issue present, due to the 90% moon not too far from the target. Either way, after stacking and stretching the data I decided to have a go at processing it anyway, and was surprised to see the result!

This image represents 3 hours and 28.5 minutes of data taken in 90s subs.

Taken with my Esprit 100 and Canon 6D, processed in PixInsight and Adobe Lightroom.

Constructive criticism welcome as always!

1897343098_M3150.thumb.jpg.79a4ecd36eeecce1930da477e45ed964.jpg

Cheers

Edited by Spongey
  • Like 21

1 minute ago, vlaiv said:

Framing is a bit strange?

Yes, I didn't bother rotating the camera to fit the whole galaxy in as I was imaging for test purposes.

I wish I did now, but it makes a good phone background nonetheless 🙂

• Haha 1

Just now, vlaiv said:

Framing is a bit strange?

Yes, you might want to rotate the camera about 90-110 degrees, you might get some wider expanse and further detail, but sometimes it's good to see a different frame orientation, so many frame the same way and it just becomes another M31 😀. But as the OP stated, he was just checking the optic issue he saw, so get the impression he wasn't making a serious AP attempt.

1 hour ago, Spongey said:

Yes, I didn't bother rotating the camera to fit the whole galaxy in as I was imaging for test purposes.

I wish I did now, but it makes a good phone background nonetheless 🙂

I’ve done that with M31 and then kicked myself later for not framing it right in the first place.  Yours is a lively image though. The colour balance looks spot on here. 

Edited by Ouroboros
Misuse of apostrophe.
  • Thanks 1

Nice natural M31 with tight little stars. Good core, too, though I'd soften the very middle part with a bit of blur because it looks slightly stellar.

If you go deep you can't fit in all of M31 at 530mm on a full frame chip. (I've tried!)  It will need a mosaic.

Olly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1