Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best binoculars for stargazing absolute beginner around $200?

Hi fellas, sorry if this question is a copy of what's been asked before, so I am going to jump into stargazing journey and looking for a great binoculars around $200. I've read that the magnification must be at least 10x and that the Porro prism is better than the Roof prism. I really like Vortex Crossfire HD 12x50 but it has the roof prism. Any experience with those for stargazing? Which binocs would you recommend? I've also been looking for Celestron Skymaster series but reviews were so-so. Thanks for your input! 

Here's another round-up. If you want to use them handheld, 10x magnification is about the maximum. 10x50's, 8x42's or 7x50's are very convenient for stargazing (although the exit pupil on the 7x50 is a bit large).

I have a pair of Nikon Action Ex 10x50 and I really love them, great performance and - although not the lightest in its class - easy to hold steady. I think they can be found for around or under $200 but I'm not familiar with US prices.

I recently bought the Opticron Adventurer T WP 10x50s following the advice on the binocularsky site, and am very happy with them. I also bought the bracket to attach them to any standard photo tripod screw, which makes it easy to hold the binoculars steady . I already had a monopod to use as a support, but If you don't have one already (or a tripod ) you may wish to factor the cost in.

• Like 1

On 20/10/2020 at 00:07, deniamnet said:

Hi fellas, sorry if this question is a copy of what's been asked before, so I am going to jump into stargazing journey and looking for a great binoculars around $200. I've read that the magnification must be at least 10x and that the Porro prism is better than the Roof prism. I really like Vortex Crossfire HD 12x50 but it has the roof prism. Any experience with those for stargazing? Which binocs would you recommend? I've also been looking for Celestron Skymaster series but reviews were so-so. Thanks for your input! 

@deniamnet I'm a bit late to the party here... 🙂

The whole Porro/roof thing is oft-misunderstood. In general (ie not always) at any given price-point, a Porro will have better optical quality than a roof, largely due to the difference in precision with which the prisms must be made. The Vortex Crossfire is one off those that is pretty close to the "not always" category, but I wouldn't get the 12x - very difficult to hand-hold steadily. The 10x50 is much better - brighter, and wider field of view. I've been very impressed with Vortex binoculars (and not just because of their tramsferrable lifetime guarantee)

I reviewed it (in a comparison of six different 10x50s around the same price) for Sky at Night mag a couple of years ago; this is what I wrote:

The Vortex Crossfire is a good example of how modern manufacturing processes have narrowed the gap in optical quality between Porro- and roof-prism binoculars of similar prices. The 6.1° field of view is on a par with the Porros and it is flat enough that we could keep Albireo split into two components over the central 90%. Colour rendition was excellent: not only do deeply coloured stars seem vibrant, but the subtle differences between similarly coloured ones are easily visible as well.

The focus is smooth and precise, and the short-hinge design leaves more room for your fingers, making the binocular very comfortable to hold. There is enough eye-relief to allow you to observe with spectacles if you need to. The objective lens-caps are tethered to the screw in the adaptor bush in the hinge, so they become untethered if you mount the binoculars. Apart from that, the only other niggle is the high minimum interpupillary distance (60.5mm), which is an inevitable feature of the roof-prism design used for 50mm aperture.

I think you're wise to pass on the Skymasters (the Skymaster Pro, though are very much better).

Also mentioned above are the Nikon Action Extreme 10x50 and the Opricron Adventurer T WP. My review of the Adventurer has just gone live on AstroGear Today: https://astrogeartoday.com/review-opticron-adventurer-t-wp-10x50-binoculars/ and the Nikons were part of the same comparison review as the Vortex:

From the moment you take these binoculars out of their lightly padded case, you will notice that they ooze quality. They have a robust feel in the hand, and everything – hinge, focusing, twist-up eye-cups – works smoothly with just the right amount of stiffness to prevent accidental readjustment. The eyepiece rain-guard is tethered, and the objective caps can be secured to the binocular strap to prevent mislaying them.

They are just as impressive under the stars, which snap to focus anywhere in the central 85% of its 6.5° field of view, giving a bright, crisp, contrasty image. Colour rendition and control of false colour are both very good. There is just enough eye relief to enable spectacle-wearers to see the entire field of view. We found them to be well-balanced and hence relatively easy to hold steadily, and the chunky lugs on the right eyepiece dioptre adjustment make it very easy to adjust, even when we wore thick gloves. The rubber armour does not get slippery when it is dew-wetted.

I hope that helps: Bottom line is that you'd likely be happy with any of these.

I have a pair of 8x42 Bushnell Legends, a very nice robust pair of binoculars. 

A few things to look out for which ought to help:  Fully multi-coated glass surfaces, nitrogen filled, waterproof, nice wide neck strap.  Not all essential by any means, but I think they should help.  The coatings help with light transmission and to cut out errant reflections, waterproof / nitrogen filled should eliminate fogging on interior glass surfaces.  Bak4 porro prism for a sharper image and better light transmission.

Oh and if looking at a binocular tripod mount L bracket, get a metal one as the plastic ones are feeble and wobbly.

Edited by jonathan

2 hours ago, BinocularSky said:

Re BaK-4 prisms and fully multicoated optics: https://binocularsky.com/binoc_minefield.php

Well I never did!  To be honest though, I don't expect to be able to afford a Carl Zeiss pair of binos so I'll have to make-do with my "might be decent, or not" Bushnell Legends for now.

Edited by jonathan

nice article Steve, as stated, a minefield. What's hidden under the covers makes such a difference to what you get to see.

Most of my bins are <1980's of japanese manufacture (full size and micro) and so single coated and BK7, but give fine views as do the 1940's Hensoldt Jagd's that don't appear to have coated lenses at all. Sure my Minolta 10x50 are much brighter being multi-coated but I do quite like the view from the vintage bins. in fact the old 15x50 micro bins I have gave pretty good views of the celestial bodies, just not so easy to mount and pretty cold to hold at night being all bare metal.

As your article says, best way to decide if you like a particular pair is try them. At least with buying new and  online you can return given we can't easily visit shops to test things at the mo. Not so easy with the bay tho unless there's a real fault that wasn't disclosed.

For the CZJ's I do peek at the market but so far they've been going for way too much for my wants. I do have a pair of Foton 7x35 roofs tho which are very good and of course quite likely optics made along the same lines but more robust than the CZJ Notarem 😉 

On 26/10/2020 at 19:45, DaveL59 said:

Most of my bins are <1980's of japanese manufacture (full size and micro) and so single coated and BK7,

My sister (who is a wildlife pro) still has the CZJ 8x30s that our dad gave her in 1968. She prefers modern roofs for work nowadays, but took these the last time we went back to Zimbabwe. Still really lovely for astro!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BinocularSky said:

My sister (who is a wildlife pro) still has the CZJ 8x30s that our dad gave her in 1968. She prefers modern roofs for work nowadays, but took these the last time we went back to Zimbabwe. Still really lovely for astro!

I must get a pair of CZJ's one day 🙂 I will admit that while servicing the onces I've accumulated I have made a few "improvements" on some, blacking prism sides, flocking the objective barrels etc. The latter transformed the old Jagd's, culling the stray light when the sun is near on-axis. But then I'm fortunate to be able to take them apart and fettle where most wouldn't attempt such surgery.

• Like 1