Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope Injury

beka

Deciding to take another crack at planetary imaging since my last and only attempt about 7 years ago, I started setting up my CPC 1100 on the 5th floor deck of a childhood friends hospital building. He helped me carry it up a couple of flights of stairs and to place the OTA assembly on the tripod. While he curiously looked at his reflection through the corrector plate, worrying me with the prospect of a nose print, I collected the accessories I needed to start the imaging session. My friend who was in the meantime fumbling around with something on the deck, found a signboard thing which he happily declared would be his next canvas (he paints on all kinds of things) and went downstairs leaving me alone with the scope. I soon found that the power extension cord was too short and would not allow me to connect the power adapter - so I did a very foolish thing. I tried to lift the scope tripod on all supported by my body and decided it was doable. I slowly moved along the deck to place the scope nearer the power outlet... and then disaster! The azimuth clutch being loose, the OTA swung around and hit me on my left brow. I staggered thinking that was the end of my telescope but I somehow managed to maintain my balance and placed the scope down safely. I put my hand to the place where I had been struck by the OTA and it came away bloody. Looking in a mirror I was alarmed to see the left side of my face covered in blood. I washed my face and saw that luckily I just had a tiny superficial cut just below my left brow. I pressed some tissue to it and it stopped bleeding in a few minutes, and I continued setting up and imaging for a couple of hours. Recently someone asked on this forum about how manageable a CPC 1100 was to handle and I posted that I managed to set it up alone which was the case most of the time, but I have to admit it is was not the best advice. In the end I was not unhappy with the results which I will post in the imaging section.

Thanks for reading!

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

The CPC110 is a beast, i gave it up after it almost tried to kill me twice while carrying it down steps lol. That being said, it is a great scope but not for those who have to carry it in and out for sessions. Aside from that, you may find yourself avoiding sessions simply because the scope is such a chore to set up which defeats the whole purpose. there was a time when aperture fever meant everything to me but, as i get older, i now suffer from aperture fear of falling.

• Like 1

Importantly you are OK, which is the main thing. 

Yes these big SCTs are indeed beasts. Many folk use them as portable scopes but I think the definition is perhaps debatable. You really need to see them in the flesh to get an idea of their bulk. Putting them up is one thing, taking them down at 3am in the middle of winter is another. Your post is a timely reminder! 

Ed

• Like 1

That must have shaken you up.  I’ve had Similar incidents, usually involving trying to move the whole setup and forgetting that one of the axes is loose. I don’t think I’ve drawn blood though. I’m glad you’re ok. We live and learn! 

• Thanks 1