Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion SkyQuest XT8i IntelliScope

What are your thoughts on this scope people? Anyone own one? What are they like?

They seem very rare in the UK, its mainly Skywatcher here.  Don't  dont get me wrong These are obviously great scopes too, but I'm looking for an 8 inch Dob but prefer the Orion solid tube, may hold better collimation? Also prefer the all black look and the 'Push to function'  I've narrowed my search down to the above 'title scope and a Skyliner 200 p flexi Goto, but am heavily leaning towards the Orion, I love the look of the push to Intelliscope system, I wonder how it compares to the Skyliner 200p Flexi Goto...Any info appreciated.

The reason you don’t see many Orion US scopes in the UK is that there is no UK distributor.

Another dob worth considering is the Omegon push to. Like their push to system. Scope is actually made by GSO.

https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/omegon-dobson-telescope-push-n-203-1000/p,51434

Optics of the Orion US, Skywatcher and Omegon are the same quality.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

I have an 8 inch Dob Orion XT8. I replaced the red dot finder with a telrad and a 9x50 RACI finder and I can say that I am able relatively quickly find whatever object I want to see. I think it's fun, one can learn to navigate the sky, and it's simple, no complicated alignments, leveling., etc. Just consider  this alternative as well before you buy a scope with a goto / push to system. I can highly recommend it.

A mobile phone running planetarium software such as Sky Safari can, in principle, be used as a sort of 'Push to' finder for telescopes  - you'll need to 

• get a suitable bracket to line it up with the scope 
  • get an accurate alignment of the phone with the sky

Basic Stellarium mobile doesn't seem to do this, but Stellarium Mobile Plus (£7.49 on Android) or the free Sky Safari 6 will work for this. I'm sure there are others as well.

• Like 1

I have a XT8i Intelliscope.  I bought it second hand based on the excellent planetary views it gave.  The push to system worked well if set up carefully.  There is an "urban myth" that Intelliscope optics are cherry picked (?).  I have dumbed down my Intelliscope by removing the push to system and re-installing it on a 20" Dobsonian.         🙂

• Like 1

I got my Orion XT10 intelliscope in 2005 and it is still going strong. I enjoy using it and get great views with deep sky and planets as well. It is simple to use and the object pointing is always accurate. I like it being a solid tube and it holds collimation very well.  I haven't compared it to other similar scopes but I would recommend the intelliscope  as a good buy.

• Like 1

On 14/10/2020 at 16:04, Peter Drew said:

I have a XT8i Intelliscope.  I bought it second hand based on the excellent planetary views it gave.  The push to system worked well if set up carefully.  There is an "urban myth" that Intelliscope optics are cherry picked (?).  I have dumbed down my Intelliscope by removing the push to system and re-installing it on a 20" Dobsonian.         🙂

Interesting. Could this be done for any dobsonian? I have a 12" dobsonian, and might be interested in installing 'push to'  functionality, if this was relatively easy, and used standard, off the shelf components. 

45 minutes ago, David J H said:

Interesting. Could this be done for any dobsonian? I have a 12" dobsonian, and might be interested in installing 'push to'  functionality, if this was relatively easy, and used standard, off the shelf components. 

I don't see why not.  As long as you can mount the encoders central to the rotational axes, the encoders have no idea what telescope they are being used on.     🙂

I spoke with  two large UK telescope companies the other day, they both said the same...''As good as the Orion scopes are, because they are USA based company, buying one  here in the UK would not be a good idea as you can't or wont get the Tech support if needed, and as a beginner I may need it, fair point I guess, but a shame as I love the look of them. I see they are on Amazon, but I personally wouldn't shell out £ 700  or more on there, would have to be a main dealer. 

There are Orion US dealers in Europe as Orion does have a distribution warehouse in Europe so it is possible to get one from a main dealer in Europe.

https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/orion-dobson-telescope-n-203-1200-skyquest-xt8-intelliscope-dob/p,33297

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1