SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dark sky maps/sites

Hi this is my second post on SGL and I am new to astronomy. As my post suggests I am looking for a dark sky map/website ect. I have found some but I wondered if there is a really good one that has a lot of detail.

I live in Hampshire and I'm trying to find the perfect spot to jump in the car to. I obviously have some places in mind but want to compare them.

Actually just writing this has gave me an idea and another question! Maybe try some of my spots out with a light meter. Has anyone else done this? Is it worth it? Okay 2 new questions! 

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Ps I just brought my first scope and it was cloudy 🙄

Kind regards Kyle 

Hi Kyle, 

I am not aware of any specific online sites listing dark observing sites. Good Dark sites can be difficult to come by and the location of ones that people use are generally closely guarded. It is very dependant on your location and quite how far you are willing to travel.

Some sites that initially seem ideal can have issues with undesirables turning up in the dark for activities that are in no way related to astronomy 🙄

Have you joined an Astronomy Society near to you? That would be a good start. They will most likely have sites that they use for viewing nights. Also members may have their own sites that they are willing to share with you

This website shows the darkness of the night sky calculated from artificial light emission measured by satellites (use the World Atlas 2015 layer). It's good to get a rough idea of the darkness, but keep in mind that the data is from 2015 and a lot (a LED 😏) has changed since then. Here in The Netherlands, there are a few websites and forums where you can find and share dark sites that are easily accessible - including recent darkness measurements. Not sure about the UK.

The SQM is a well-known device to measure darkness yourself, allowing easy comparison with other sites and other observers. I have one - it's very convenient and a good investment in my opinion.

Edited by Waddensky
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Waddensky said:

This website shows the darkness of the night sky calculated from artificial light emission measured by satellites. It's good to get a rough idea of the darkness, but keep in mind that the data is from 2015 and a lot (a LED 😏) has changed since then. Here in The Netherlands, there are a few websites and forums where you can find and share dark sites that are easily accessible - including recent darkness measurements. Not sure about the UK.

The SQM is a well-known device to measure darkness yourself, allowing easy comparison with other sites and other observers. I have one - it's very convenient and a good investment in my opinion.

Hi waddensky that looks like a great site i also stumbled across this one just now. It looks quite detailed but I'm not sure how upto date it is. 

vue-generale.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kdiveruk said:

Hi waddensky that looks like a great site i also stumbled across this one just now. It looks quite detailed but I'm not sure how upto date it is. 

vue-generale.jpg

This looks like a VIIRS map to me. This measures the light emission from artificial light sources as seen from space, not the effect it has on sky brightness. As far as I know, 2015 is the first and only time the data has been reworked to show real darkness.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Waddensky said:

This looks like a VIIRS map to me. This measures the light emission from artificial light sources as seen from space, not the effect it has on sky brightness. As far as I know, 2015 is the first and only time the data has been reworked to show real darkness.

I see I would never have thought of that it's completely in reverse. We are trying to see up and the satellite is looking down 2 completely different perspectives 😂 doh 

• Like 1

This site:  https://www.darkskydiscovery.org.uk/dark-sky-discovery-sites/map.html has also been mentioned in previous discussions, though its criteria are not very demanding (being able to make out the main stars in Orion, for one class).

Also, by definition, a location's appearance on a site like this will likely preclude it from becoming that special dark place that only you know about!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kdiveruk said:

We are trying to see up and the satellite is looking down 2 completely different perspectives

When using the Light Pollution Map, you can enable in the toggle menu "feature", and in this the options "SQM" +"SQM-L". You will now find in the map, shown as coloured circles, a whole bunch of SQM/SQM-L measurements by amateur stargazers, that represent the more accurate "down-up" perspective. You can add your own measurements as well. A lot of gaps between the different places, but gives a rather realistic view of the local light pollution.

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Kdiveruk said:

Hi this is my second post on SGL and I am new to astronomy. As my post suggests I am looking for a dark sky map/website ect. I have found some but I wondered if there is a really good one that has a lot of detail.

I live in Hampshire and I'm trying to find the perfect spot to jump in the car to. I obviously have some places in mind but want to compare them.

Actually just writing this has gave me an idea and another question! Maybe try some of my spots out with a light meter. Has anyone else done this? Is it worth it? Okay 2 new questions! 

Kind regards Kyle 

Yes as mentioned by others, a Unihedron Sky Quality Meter L model is a very worth while investment, if you plan on pursuing dark sky trips.

Actually finding a place that becomes a reassuring bolthole as mentioned, takes a bit of consideration, trial and trickerlation. My advice would be to avoid large parking areas, country parks, ect. The more out of the way the better. Through experience you may get to encounter all manner of nocturnal human types., Except for a werewolf, I think that I have pretty much had them all, including a bunch of poachers and avoid all those places. A good place and you will only get like minded people such as photographers or even another astronomer, or blissfully no one. Just get to know your countryside and its potential little niches they do exist. I have three very dependable locations within an hour's drive from home to choose from, but yep takes a bit of time to establish - worth it though. 

• Like 1

Lightpollutionmap.info using their Atlas 2015 overlay/analysis I have found to be very accurate at two completely different sites. I spend time between SW of London, Bortle 7ish 19.05 and SW Ireland, Bortle 3ish, 21.80.

I have an SQM-L meter and have collected around 200 quite recent readings from each at various different altitudes and phases of sun and moon. At each site the Atlas 2015 estimate matches almost exactly what I have measured under best conditions, even now.

I regard that as a reliable guide as to what to expect.

Cheers, Magnus

• Like 4

9 hours ago, scarp15 said:

Yes as mentioned by others, a Unihedron Sky Quality Meter L model is a very worth while investment, if you plan on pursuing dark sky trips.

Actually finding a place that becomes a reassuring bolthole as mentioned, takes a bit of consideration, trial and trickerlation. My advice would be to avoid large parking areas, country parks, ect. The more out of the way the better. Through experience you may get to encounter all manner of nocturnal human types., Except for a werewolf, I think that I have pretty much had them all, including a bunch of poachers and avoid all those places. A good place and you will only get like minded people such as photographers or even another astronomer, or blissfully no one. Just get to know your countryside and its potential little niches they do exist. I have three very dependable locations within an hour's drive from home to choose from, but yep takes a bit of time to establish - worth it though. 

It's all quite exciting this isn't it! 😁 I'm a bit country man and just love the outdoors! I know one thing the your advice in country parks is spot on! I'm hoping to sweet talk a farmer or two. 

• Like 2

On 07/10/2020 at 08:17, Kdiveruk said:

Kind regards Kyle 

The Go Stargazing website is a decent source for dark sky sites.

• Like 1