Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope camera

can't say I have but some comments on sites selling them say they're junk, need drivers etc. Cheap for a punt but don't expect great things. Better to mod a webcam really or look at something like the svbony range.

16 hours ago, Shepdog said:

What about an actual camera? Like they use for full blown astrophotos?

You mean a DSLR?

The reasons people use a DSLR for astrophotography are twofold - a lot of people already own one, and if you want/need a large sensor with lots of pixels, it is usually much cheaper to buy it as part of a DSLR than as a dedicated astronomy camera.

If you actually try it yourself, you will find that using a purpose made planetary camera is quite straightforward, while operating a DSLR in the dark, where you can't see the controls, can't see if it is in focus or if the exposure is correct can be a right pain.  A DSLR sensor is bigger, and often with bigger pixels, than you want for planetary imaging.  If your telescope & mount will not take the weight of a DSLR that just indicates your setup is not suitable for imaging.  For any sort of imaging you want a very solid mount that at least tracks.

• Like 1

As previously mentioned a 'modded' webacam maybe/would be better, but you would need a laptop or PC as well... or a mobile phone* or tablet* + an OTG** cable and third-party software/app for it to work.

* for some peculiar reason they do not/may not work or compatible with all devices and some versions of Android OS... (there are a few third-party apps that are ad-free) - not sure about iOS.
** OTG = On The Go cable. 

Thats the scope i have Alan64...i lokkes into that same webcam but people say they are junk..but i don't know. I have found a Philips 900 series with ccd and one from Sony with ccd for around 30 bucks that people rave about..

Which do ya think will give the better picture quality...the svbony lense..or a phillips spc900?

Im looking at  an old Sony ccd camera too..cheaper than the phillips...i can provide a link for the Sony if needed..