Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PowerShield

gilesco

That's interesting, I was thinking about if it was possible to build something like this. Basically a Pi and Pegasus Powerbox all in one.

The only thing that seems to be lacking is for auto focusers, he does state it's for Astroberry/Stellarmate but there's no INDI driver so will it work under EKOS?

Just now, MarkAR said:

That's interesting, I was thinking about if it was possible to build something like this. Basically a Pi and Pegasus Powerbox all in one.

The only thing that seems to be lacking is for auto focusers, he does state it's for Astroberry/Stellarmate but there's no INDI driver so will it work under EKOS?

No, the guy who built the ECAD/MCAD files says he's not too good with software development, only hardware development. I'm not too good with either, but probably better with software and I'm OK with Linux and the Raspberry Pi, so I'm sure I'd be able to get the GPS to connect to GPSD INDI driver, and I reckon I could get a python / RRDscript to graph the Temperature / Humidity / Pressure sensors, might be able to python something using the generic INDI weather driver.

Similarly for the 12V outputs / PWM DEW heater outputs, could probably easily do some python to control these via the web interface on Astroberry.

As for Focusers - the Astroberry INDI drivers can take care of that.

10 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Looks like a similar idea. Once it gets to the stage where it can replace the Pegasus completely I'll be up for one. 

Yes, I'm sure it is modelled with it in mind. As I used a Pi4 I need a 3A USB power port, so to consider a Pegasus it looks like I would need the Advance model, which is a good £100 step up from the ordinary Powerbox PPB, so too much for me, this one as a hat can power the Pi4 via the GPIO, everything looks cleaner and more compact in one box (for the way I want to work).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gilesco said:

As for Focusers - the Astroberry INDI drivers can take care of that.

But how to connect it directly. Currently my lakeside goes direct from the Pegasus via RJ45/DB9 cable. No idea if you can change the RJ45 to a USB or would you use the GPIO of the Pi ?

Ideally everything would work using EKOS so I think some sort of INDI driver would need to be written. My knowledge of PYTHON etc is zero.

10 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

But how to connect it directly. Currently my lakeside goes direct from the Pegasus via RJ45/DB9 cable. No idea if you can change the RJ45 to a USB or would you use the GPIO of the Pi ?

Ideally everything would work using EKOS so I think some sort of INDI driver would need to be written. My knowledge of PYTHON etc is zero.

The Lakeside focuser either has RS-232 serial port UART interface or a USB interface? FTDI Interface... 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-usb-to-serial-adapter-for-original-lakeside-focuser-controllers.html

If it's a RS-232 serial port UART (looks like a standard 9-pin COM port), then you'd use a USB Serial Cable Adapter and use the Lakeside INDI driver that is as standard with the INDIlib package.

Edited by gilesco

Thats great to hear @RadekK

On 02/10/2020 at 16:08, gilesco said:

The Lakeside focuser either has RS-232 serial port UART interface or a USB interface? FTDI Interface... 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-usb-to-serial-adapter-for-original-lakeside-focuser-controllers.html

If it's a RS-232 serial port UART (looks like a standard 9-pin COM port), then you'd use a USB Serial Cable Adapter and use the Lakeside INDI driver that is as standard with the INDIlib package.

To replace thePegasus it would need to be a usb to DB9 custom wired or GPIO to DB9. 

What would be great if they could add a RJ45 just like the Pegasus for the focuser.

• 1 month later...