Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CTB1/ LBN 576 (Abell 85)

Rattler

This is supernova remnant CTB1/LBN 576 (Abell 85) in HOO+RGB. Known by some as the Popped Balloon or Garlic Nebula

This has been a real challenge but I'm passed the stage of several targets a night and want to get the time in.
I had never heard of this object until I was looking around Stellarium for more obscure targets. It's listed as a custom object.
I spoke to a few imagers who had captured this and they told me how faint and difficult it was. It was hit or miss whether I'd pick up anything worthwhile with OSC but I wanted to give it a shot.  These guys were hitting it with 30min exposures in mono.
My 900s exposures showed barely any nebulosity.

After searching on Astrobin, there weren't loads of images of it and I can't find a single image of this in solely OSC.  A first? Maybe.

CTB1 is approx 9780 light years away, spans approx 98 light years in diameter and is thought to be around 10,000 years old.
It was catalogued by George Abell as a planetary nebula as Abell 85 but was suggested to be a SNR by Sidney van den Bergh in 1960.  This was confirmed in 1971 by Willis and Dickel.
A shell rupture can be seen in the top right of the image.

Imaged on the 13th, 17th, 20th and 21st September '20

Preston, UK
Altair Astro Starwave 102 ED-R
Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro
Zwo ASI294 MC Pro
STC Duo (Ha and OIII), Skytech L-Pro Max
Zwo ASI290MM (guiding)
Zwo ASIair Pro

72x 900s  (18 hours)  Ha/OIII
40x 180s (2 hours) RGB stars
48 darks
50 flats and 50 flat darks per session