NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter and Ganymede 12th Sep

CraigT82

I spent a good 40 minutes setting up last night in the hope of getting something through holes in the cloud and managed to at least get a couple of red runs with the Altair 290m before giving up. I really need a permanent set up!

Seeing seemed reasonable but some real low frequency wobbles were present. The sky was too light to star-check the collimation and I didn't  have time to set the ADC properly but it turned out OK I think. This is the first time I've managed to get a hint of surface detail on Ganymede.

8.75" Fullerscope, 2.7x APM barlow, Altair GPCAM3 290m and Baader Red filter

2x 60s captures - approx 10k frames captured with 50% stacked.

Thanks for looking.

2020-09-12-1900_7-Red with Ganymede.png

• Like 9

Very nice, there is lots of detail on Jupiter too! The curve of the planet can be seen from the ellipse shape of the shadow. Also it's surprising how much bigger the shadow looks compared to Ganymede.

I had a look around 8pm but for me Jupiter rises just over a house roof and gas boiler flue and the thermals were hopeless.

Nikolay

Very well captured Craig. I was a bit late to the show last night. I was taking my time setting up hoping to get some mars captures in as it was wall to wall sunshine here all day. Then as soon as mars was rising you guessed it Thick cloud all night. Like you I could do with a permenant set up.