Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASi533 MC Pro single 120s frame noise

fwm891

Out of interest I wanted to see what I might get from a single image frame with the ASi 533 MC-Pro camera. Exposure 120s -15° C Unity gain.

I chose an area containing some detail but not overloaded with a heavy star field and picked IC 5070 as a target.

The image below contains the RAW 16 bit frame unprocessed and a processed version. I've not used any noise reduction routines at any stage as noise was my initial interest.

Processing in PI. RAW frame opened, STF applied, Histogram Transformation, Dynamic crop and saved as png.

Processed image: STF applied, mix of Colur saturation, Curves transfor, SCNR and Histogram transformation Dynamic crop. Saved as png.

Single frame noise.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, fwm891 said:

Out of interest I wanted to see what I might get from a single image frame with the ASi 533 MC-Pro camera. Exposure 120s -15° C Unity gain.

I chose an area containing some detail but not overloaded with a heavy star field and picked IC 5070 as a target.

The image below contains the RAW 16 bit frame unprocessed and a processed version. I've not used any noise reduction routines at any stage as noise was my initial interest.

Processing in PI. RAW frame opened, STF applied, Histogram Transformation, Dynamic crop and saved as png.

Processed image: STF applied, mix of Colur saturation, Curves transfor, SCNR and Histogram transformation Dynamic crop. Saved as png.

I've just bought one of these cameras, so a very interesting picture to see! Could you say what equipment was used  - you have three OTA listed in your signature?

3 hours ago, Shimrod said:

I've just bought one of these cameras, so a very interesting picture to see! Could you say what equipment was used  - you have three OTA listed in your signature?

The OTA was the Altair Astro 115 EDT-APO refractor, mounted on an iOptron CEM60.

3 images taken with the same kit over the last two nights. 18 - 25 x 300s subs each

IC5146_115_533_NB1_14-09-2020.png

N7380_115_533_NB1_14-09-2020.png

N281_115_533_NB1_14-09-2020.png

Edited by fwm891
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking good, any chance you can see what your adu value is on the background dark sky on one of your subs? I need to compare to my adu value with unity gain set, I need to see if my cam is working properly my 3min subs on deer lick galaxy seem abit dark with the histogram right over to the left, when I was expecting more to the middle as I’m not using a lp filter was expecting the sky glow to push the histogram more over 

6 minutes ago, Craig a said:

Looking good, any chance you can see what your adu value is on the background dark sky on one of your subs? I need to compare to my adu value with unity gain set, I need to see if my cam is working properly my 3min subs on deer lick galaxy seem abit dark with the histogram right over to the left, when I was expecting more to the middle as I’m not using a lp filter was expecting the sky glow to push the histogram more over 

Background ADU value is highly dependent on setup used and sky conditions. Not sure if you'll get anything by direct comparison unless you account for LP levels and telescopes used in both cases.

1 hour ago, vlaiv said:

Background ADU value is highly dependent on setup used and sky conditions. Not sure if you'll get anything by direct comparison unless you account for LP levels and telescopes used in both cases.

Right ok, my scope is the 130pds working at f4.5 and according to clear outside I’m in Bortle 5, I realise now I should of upped the gain to say 200 to see if the adu was higher, will have to check that next clear night, I’m just confused by comparing the adu that the dslr was giving me compared to my 533 

Edited by Craig a