Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bresser 10" + Baader Hyperion Zoom + Baader 2.25x Barlow

20 minutes ago, orions_boot said:

Do you still need a right angle finder if using a telrad or quick finder?  I was getting some funny looks across the room at the price of everything so I took a short cut and started with the quick finder which is better than half the price.  I have read a lot of people saying they never used a scope again since they started with one.

I find that it's very useful to have both types of finder on the scope. The Telrad / Quikfinder type to get to the right patch of the sky and then the optical finde (I prefer the RACI types) to get much more precisely to where the target is. I make sure that the optical finder is accurately aligned so that what is in the cross hairs is in the center of even a high power eyepiece.

It is quite possible to operate with just one or the other finder types but having both is the optimum in my opinion.

This is the top end of my 12 inch dobsonian:

dobtopp5mm.JPG

The problem with straight finders on a large dob is that when looking at things near the zenith, you end up on your hands and knees trying to look up the finder. A RACI solves that - but it is hard to find a target with just a RACI alone, since you have no easy way to know exactly where you are pointing it.

Say you wanted to start a star-hop from Vega. How do you find Vega with just a RACI? You have to try and guess and point the scope in the rough direction and hope for the best, with a straight finder you could keep both eyes open and then it's easier to line up the finder with the star.

The Telrad/Rigel gets you on to your initial target, then you can star-hop with the RACI.

Having both types of finder is simply the easiest way to find things with a dob. When you look at photos  of dobs here on SGL just take note of how the more experienced the user the more often you see both types on their dob.

Edited by johninderby

Thanks for this information.  I will probably look to get that quite soon.

Further to or instead of the zoom eye piece, I am considering replacing the zoom with single eye pieces.  The scope comes with 25mm and the general advice seems to be go for the BST brands.  I am wondering is it better to start with fixed EPs and look in to a zoom later?