NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Video conversion looses sound

Davey-T

Took a video on phone which downloads  to PC as MOV file and plays with sound but when converted  to AVI in PIPP there's no sound, should PIPP keep sound ? if not does anyone know a converter (preferably free ) that will retain the sound ?

Dave

39 minutes ago, Martin Meredith said:

I use ffmpeg for all my conversions involving video/sound (though I've not used it for Astro purposes). Its very complete, robust and free.

https://ffmpeg.org

Cheers

Martin

Downloaded what appeared to be Win64 files but ended up with loads of astro' program specific files /plug ins no exe.

Dave

1 hour ago, Martin Meredith said:

I'm on a Mac so can't really help there I'm afraid. I'm guessing you downloaded from here?

https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

On the Mac at least you end up with a command line tool (ie not a GUI-based application).

Martin

Thanks Martin, got a MBP so will try it on that.

Dave

ffmpeg is an excellent answer for any sort of A/V conversion, recoding, splitting, and general fiddling about. It's incredibly powerful (and under the hood of at least 50% of professional video tools out there).

The important thing to consider in any conversion is what you're changing. A video file is a container which has one or more streams of information in, each of which is normally encoded with a specific codec. PIPP I would presume discards the audio since it's designed to process images, so doesn't have an interest in audio. MOV is a container, MP4, AVI, etc are all containers. Codecs would be things like H.264 (probably what you've got video in if it's from a phone), Theora, AV1, etc for video, MP3, AAC, FLAC, Vorbis etc for audio. Not all containers can hold all codecs - AVI is quite limited, for instance.

If you just want to repackage the streams of information - i.e. move the stuff from the MOV into AVI without changing the content - you can easily do this with ffmpeg:

ffmpeg -i input.mov -c:v copy -c:a copy output.avi

This will copy the contents from your input (-i flag) to the output file. If it can't, it'll throw an error. Swapping containers is always preferable to re-encoding or compound coding as this will normally degrade quality noticeably, especially if you're working with lossy codecs like H.264 etc.

If you need to re-encode then you can do this - there are lots of options for most codecs but bitrate is a common one. For instance, to encode your video with H.264 video and AAC audio into a Matroska container, with (approximately) 2Mbps of video and 128k of audio:

ffmpeg -i input.mov -c:a libfdk_aac -b:a 128k -c:v libx264 -b:v 2000k out.mkv

The ffmpeg wiki has lots more good information.

It really depends on what you're trying to acheve - if you're targeting a specific container and codec for a specific service or tool then you'll usually be able to find out what's expected and then configure ffmpeg accordingly.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, discardedastro said:

ffmpeg is an excellent answer for any sort of A/V conversion, recoding, splitting, and general fiddling about. It's incredibly powerful (and under the hood of at least 50% of professional video tools out there).

Not to mention that it has an unbelievably arcane syntax and options that change every time they make a new release :D  I've had quite a few slamming my head on the desk moments when finding that the function calls I was using in the last release are no longer supported in this one and now I have to re-code things to work a different way.

It is excellent at what it does though, I have to admit.  As long as you can work out how to tell it to do what you want... :)

James

1 minute ago, JamesF said:

Not to mention that it has an unbelievably arcane syntax and options that change every time they make a new release :D  I've had quite a few slamming my head on the desk moments when finding that the function calls I was using in the last release are no longer supported in this one and now I have to re-code things to work a different way.

They had a bit of a reshuffle when -vcodec and friends moved to the new -c:v format, but it's been pretty stable since then :) drove me up the wall for a year or so when the transition was happening and I was working on boxes with both versions and a lot of scripts with cli callouts to ffmpeg. That was "fun"...

https://handbrake.fr/ is one of the nicer GUIs for ffmpeg, which might be an easier option.

VLC can also do quite a lot of this stuff.

Only want to upload a video of the Rainbow RST-135 mount slewing, don't know if You Tube accepts MOV files and it's a right rigmarole uploading videos to it now, used to be simple.

Is Vimeo free, does it accept MOV files ?

Dave

Online video sharing platforms should accept most if not all containers, then decode and display whatever format they need to.

Have you tried uploading the .mov? What happens?

Can you attach it to this post? It may play fine on here depending on the server / forum software capabilities.

I agree with the above, ffmpeg, handbrake is ok.

I use Premier Pro for video editing on the pc but this may not be for everyone and isn’t free.

Thanks for the  input Jon, I've got a copy of Cyberlink Power Director 12 on an old laptop somewhere, got the original disc but probably won't run on Win10  and no idea what it  can do  😆

170mb will try uploading it.

MOV loads but folk have to download it and have something to play it.

AVI is 15GB but no sound on it anyway, will have to go through the palaver of putting it on YT.

Dave

IMG_2501.MOV

Edited by Davey-T

I did the trick of just changing the extender, MOV to MP4,  played well in VLC and (as above) the 'save/convert' menu allowed me to pick AVI. Much smaller file but seems to run - video H264 and mpeg sound.

Love the fit on the cupboard doors 🙂 and the Rainbow RST-135 mount is nice.

9 minutes ago, Mick J said:

I did the trick of just changing the extender, MOV to MP4,  played well in VLC and (as above) the 'save/convert' menu allowed me to pick AVI. Much smaller file but seems to run - video H264 and mpeg sound.

Love the fit on the cupboard doors 🙂 and the Rainbow RST-135 mount is nice.

IMG_2501.avi

Get this error message ?

Dave

AVI.PNG.39df49728ceef24e6418c217f1a75474.PNG

The .mov file plays fine in everyday windows media players, I'm guessing you want to embed this into a webpage to avoid downloading and playing?

I can have a go at converting it tonight to a format of your choice if you want?

Compression will reduce the fileize, I say I can get it below 20mb and still look ok. 5mbps should be fine.

48 minutes ago, Jonk said:

The .mov file plays fine in everyday windows media players, I'm guessing you want to embed this into a webpage to avoid downloading and playing?

That was the plan Jon, feel free to play with it, format doesn't really matter if it will run without having to download it.

Thanks 

Dave