Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader hyperion zoom eyepiece

Just a side comment.......

The Baader Hyperion x2.25 barlow is a very useful piece of kit. The T thread connections allow it to be used with almost any camera. I use it for solar imaging (I also have and use the TV x2.5 PM )

I'd be interested to hear how it performs against the other Baader x2.25 barlow https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/baader-q-barlow-2.25x--1.3x.html

or the VIP barlow https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/accessories/optical-accessories/barlow-lenses-coma-and-glaspathcorrectors/vip-2x-modular-barlow-lens-visual-and-photographic.html

Just a comment from a newbie who knows little about astronomy kit but knows a lot about lenses, having been a professional photographer for many years (and I'm now a photography tutor)... zoom lenses can never be as good as a series of prime lenses.

4 hours ago, Gasconman said:

Just a comment from a newbie who knows little about astronomy kit but knows a lot about lenses, having been a professional photographer for many years (and I'm now a photography tutor)... zoom lenses can never be as good as a series of prime lenses.

True. But it's not a fair comparison.

For example, when doing some planetary viewing, you are swapping between high powered EPs to find the ideal magnification for the current viewing conditions. That can change quite quickly over a period of time too.

Last night I was using the zoom to view Mars, but mainly at the short fl end. In fact, the seeing was so good, I used the Hyperion Zoom Barlow too. I got down to around 300x, the seeing was so calm.

Had I been using my EPs, I would have been constantly swapping 8mm, 7mm, 6mm, 4mm orthos - and transferring the filter between them too. The zoom is much easier. Of course, once you have found a good power, and things are relatively stable, you can then start using a prime EP.

Edited by Pixies
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pixies said:

True. But it's not a fair comparison.

For example, when doing some planetary viewing, you are swapping between high powered EPs to find the ideal magnification for the current viewing conditions. That can change quite quickly over a period of time too.

Last night I was using the zoom to view Mars, but mainly at the short fl end. In fact, the seeing was so good, I used the Hyperion Zoom Barlow too. I got down to around 300x, the seeing was so calm.

Had I been using my EPs, I would have been constantly swapping 8mm, 7mm, 6mm, 4mm orthos - and transferring the filter between them too. The zoom is much easier. Of course, once you have found a good power, and things are relatively stable, you can then start using a prime EP.

Of course. Convenience is a huge factor, which is why zoom photographic lenses are so popular.

I think for the OP's tube that probably works well. Congrats for a nice scope. F/5.9 nice for both planets and DSOs, and it's not that picky about eyepieces. I wouldn't recommend Baader Hyperions for F/4 tubes, but for  about F/6 tubes, I think they work fine. I don't have that zoom (nor other Hyperions), but I've heard that it gets very stiff when it's cold - less than -10°C. Keeping it in your pocket for a while is said to help. I have heard a lot of good words about the zoom.

12 hours ago, Gasconman said:

The Baader 8-24 zoom is as good as some fixed focal length eyepieces and better than some lower cost ones. It's not quite as good as premium fixed focal length eyepieces though.

The Leica ASPH 8.9mm - 17.8mm zoom is better than most fixed focal length eyepieces and at least as good as some of the very best too. Much more expensive than the Baader zoom though but then 3-4 premium fixed focal length eyepieces (eg: Pentax XW's) would cost even more.

• Like 2

On 16/09/2020 at 09:07, Gasconman said:

It's slightly different with astronomy and it's not  just convenience.  Sometimes a zoom eyepiece can actually show more detail than a fixed focal length eyepiece.  This is because you can dial in the exact best magnification for a given object in given seeing conditions.  

However I do agree with you about prime lenses being better for photography.  Mind you, in the old days when magazine editors insisted on transparencies I then used zooms.  This is because slides couldn't be cropped, and using a zoom could mean a better composition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Second Time Around said:

It's slightly different with astronomy and it's not  just convenience.  Sometimes a zoom eyepiece can actually show more detail than a fixed focal length eyepiece.  This is because you can dial in the exact best magnification for a given object in given seeing conditions. 

Oh really? That's interesting. I'm learning more about this new hobby every day!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

This is because you can dial in the exact best magnification for a given object in given seeing conditions. 

Doubly important when using binoviewers because you're trying to swap two eyepieces at a time and trying to avoid letting them tip in the collets due to undercuts.

• Like 1

Just to add to the previous comments, I have the hyperion zoom and think its excellent. You can add filters and a camera adapter. I don't have the Barlow yet but I have ordered one. The ease at which you can switch magnification is a real winner and when you get to the one you like you can always switch to a fixed lens and focus closer using that. I tend to start with the lowest magnification, focus then zoom in a bit etc. I cannot compare it with other zooms or eyepieces as its the most expensive eyepiece in my toybox 👍

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, M40 said:

Just to add to the previous comments, I have the hyperion zoom and think its excellent. You can add filters and a camera adapter. I don't have the Barlow yet but I have ordered one. The ease at which you can switch magnification is a real winner and when you get to the one you like you can always switch to a fixed lens and focus closer using that. I tend to start with the lowest magnification, focus then zoom in a bit etc. I cannot compare it with other zooms or eyepieces as its the most expensive eyepiece in my toybox 👍

Be aware that the Hyperion zoom barlow isn't one you can use like your standard type. It has a fitting for a DSLT T-piece, but otherwise you have to attach it to the nosepiece of a 1.25" EP using the internal thread.