Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lick Observatory threatened by fire

Mark at Beaufort

As some of you know I have a Son who lives in Livermore, California which is not too far from San Jose. He was telling me, about 30 minutes ago, that he is surrounded by major fires and that the famous Lick Observatory was under threat but currently still okay.

Here is a link - https://news.ucsc.edu/2020/08/mt-hamilton-fire.html

There is also a wonderful site, with telescopes run by the Tri Valley Astronomers, which is close to Mount Hamilton and I am trying to contact a friend to see if everything is still okay.

• Sad 3

I have just received an email from my astronomy friend in California. The owner of the private Astro Site was evacuated last Tuesday so they think that the observing site might have been destroyed. They cannot visit the area because of the dangers.

I will be really sad if the site has gone because I used the 18" scope there to view Omega Centauri.

Fingers crossed the Lick Observatory and the 120 inch Scope might be saved.

Here is a photo of the 120 inch scope which might also be at risk

2015.california-130.jpg

• Sad 3