Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best App for depicting position of Jupiter's GRS?

JeremyS

Thanks Geoff. I've also emailed Sky & Telescope pointing out their App is wrong, but their website prediction looks ok.

I was in the process of doing the same for Sky Safari. I typed everything into their "Contact" form, but then it told me I had to address via their online Forums, which I don't want to join....

16 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Thanks Geoff. I've also emailed Sky & Telescope pointing out their App is wrong, but their website prediction looks ok.

I was in the process of doing the same for Sky Safari. I typed everything into their "Contact" form, but then it told me I had to address via their online Forums, which I don't want to join....

I can raise the Skaysafari issue Jeremy, I’ve posted occasionally on their forum before.

• Thanks 1

Got a reply from S&T earlier:

Hi Jeremy,

You're correct that the app is slightly off. We are working on updating the app. For now, we suggest using the times shown in the website tool or in the magazine, as both of those are updated monthly.

Thank you,
Sky & Telescope Team

39 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Got a reply from S&T earlier:

Hi Jeremy,

You're correct that the app is slightly off. We are working on updating the app. For now, we suggest using the times shown in the website tool or in the magazine, as both of those are updated monthly.

Thank you,
Sky & Telescope Team

I also asked them when this would be done and could they notify me when it had been:

Hi Jeremy,

We don't currently have a timeline on when the update will be ready. When it is, you should see a notification on your mobile device that the app has an update. We're not able to notify individual users.

Thank you,
Sky & Telescope Team

Okay, https://shallowsky.com/jupiter/ is back up and running with the GRS transiting, just needs fine tuning...

I think I have it fixed. At least, there's a red spot showing
now and it's in approximately the right place. I have some more
tuning I want to do on it to get the position displayed more
accurately, but at least now you'll be able to tell when it's
easily visible.

...Akkana
  • Thanks 1

On 19/08/2020 at 10:09, johninderby said:

I use the iPad version of Luminos which I found to be the best of any I’ve tried. Settings allows you to set it up to your lo your local observing location. I compared Sky Safai Pro and Luminos and deleted Sky Safari after comparing it to Luminos.

Think the iPhone version is a bit different but here’s a couple of screen grabs from the iPad version. 

5DEE936E-78C0-4621-B215-C9DE8886CB8E.png

F275ACC5-8721-4515-9CF8-72C4716846B9.png

Works for me as well...

On 21/08/2020 at 02:59, Geoff Barnes said:

Okay, https://shallowsky.com/jupiter/ is back up and running with the GRS transiting, just needs fine tuning...

I think I have it fixed. At least, there's a red spot showing
now and it's in approximately the right place. I have some more
tuning I want to do on it to get the position displayed more
accurately, but at least now you'll be able to tell when it's
easily visible.

...Akkana

Yes, the predicted GRS transit time seems to agree with S&T online, which is good.

As the developer mentions, he'll need to depict the GRS more accurately as it's very wide atm

I use the iPad version of Luminos which I found to be the best of any I’ve tried. Settings allows you to set it up to your lo your local observing location. I compared Sky Safai Pro and Luminos and deleted Sky Safari after comparing it to Luminos.

Think the iPhone version is a bit different but here’s a couple of screen grabs from the iPad version.

Thanks John. I was just looking to download Luminos, but I see it's £28.99. I guess you get what you pay for.

I hope that Sky Safari and/or S&T App will get the GRS issue sorted so I can continue with them.

5DEE936E-78C0-4621-B215-C9DE8886CB8E.png

F275ACC5-8721-4515-9CF8-72C4716846B9.png

Can you summarise what you found better than SS John? I read it displays stars more realistically when you zoom right in and doesn’t have the annoying comet tails that only Stu can turn off but it looks a bit glitzy to me- but that’s a very subjective opinion!

• Haha 1

I found it easier to use with a lot of depth and features to it. SS just seems clunky in comparison. Used both but once I’d used Luminos just couldn’t go back to SS. 

As you say things can be subjective but I  simply like Luminos better.

• Thanks 1

As I said before, much of this is down to personal preference. Luminos has some very good information that is nicely presented, better than SS in that respect. Things like the tonight’s visibility charts are simple to access,  clearly presented and very useful.

I find the zooming and advancing time much more fiddly in Luminos, and can’t work out how to turn off things like the orbits lines for the moons of Jupiter and I would also like to turn off the satellites at times but can’t see how to do this. I will continue to use Luminos on occasion but SS will always feel more comfortable and familiar I think. It’s the same with Stellarium and Cartes du Ceil. I’m sure they are very capable, I just don’t get on with the interfaces as well so don’t find myself using them. 

I’m using the iPad version so the iPhone version may not be quite the same.

In the settings you can turn the orbits on or off and adjust the brightness but not just the moons as far as I’m aware. The default setting for the orbits is too bright and needs dimming I think.

Zooming couldn’t be easier if you use the standard zoom function using two fingers. The zoom button just gives you maximum zoom.

Simply click on the time shown on the screen which opens the time scroll bar and scroll to  the date and time you want.

https://wobbleworks.com/luminosguide/

F4ECEEF0-C4F7-475B-9096-FD43498D5F9F.jpeg

911082BE-45CB-45E6-B1A0-AE7BC4CEC7EA.png

Edited by johninderby

8 hours ago, markse68 said:

do they do half price offers occasionally like SS do?

Not seen any, but I have both SS and Luminos. Proving very handy to get transits for Jupiter tonight, as I type this, which is basically don’t wait up till 5.09 in the morning! 😀

Edited by Deadlake