Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tal 100R on Gumtree

I used to have one just like that. The first version. Limited focuser travel and no 2 inch option but superb objective and those wonderful purple coatings.

I've owned a couple and I can't really justify another, otherwise ......

• Like 3

That's an insanely low price for such a classic refractor. There's a lot to be said for the rugged construction of the 100R, which I personally feel is far better than the later model with its plastic lens cell. Whoever grabs this scope will have grabbed themselves a really great performer.

• Like 5

yep, drove to Coventry for my RS complete with EQ5 and so on. I see a case is mentioned in that ad too, wonder if that's the full wood one which would be nice to have shown in pictures, but I guess they may not realise what they're trying to sell.

• Like 1

My last TAL 100 cost around that much. That was a 100 RT, the same as is being sold on Gumtree.

They stopped doing the wooden "coffins" when they moved to the plastic dew shield, green lens coatings and better focuser I think.

tal100rt.jpg

• Like 1

Just spoke to the fellow as he's right on my doorstep. He's put the price up to £120 as he's had a ton of interest and has been made aware it's a classic, he's holding out for offers as well!

Apparently he bought it from a friend for £30 a few years ago but never got 'into it'

I would have at the original price but I've just forked out for a new Mac so the Present Mrs Foster would murder me at this price! :)

I've suggested he add a picture of the objective to the listing, and maybe list it on astrobuysell as well to ensure it finds a good home.

I've an idea the price may drift further upwards when he spots that there's one 'sale pending' for £170 astrobuysell.

It's a shame, but hey ho. :)

• Sad 1

a case of not doing the research before listing it at that price perhaps. For sure he got a mega bargain at £30, I never get that lucky!

Even so still a bargain for the revised price, I've seen the tripod and mount only go for way more than that.

2 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

a case of not doing the research before listing it at that price perhaps. For sure he got a mega bargain at £30, I never get that lucky!

Even so still a bargain for the revised price, I've seen the tripod and mount only go for way more than that.

Yes I thought about asking for his mate's details, just in case he has any other astro bargains lying around.

Absolutely still a bargain, but just badly timed for me.

• Haha 1

his mate sounds like someone worth knowing for sure 😉

Yeah too far for me and I need to watch spending now else I'd have loved to have the tripod/mount. Just had a couple of bargain 140mm tube rings drop through the letterbox tho, so that means I can pop the TAL-1 onto the EQ5 if I want, which I'll do when I'm ready to overhaul the pier and TAL mount.

Edited by DaveL59

Ahh that’s a shame @johnfosteruk ☹️ When I looked at the pics I thought £75 was a real bargain especially for its condition and the inclusion of original tripod & mount. 
This old saying springs to mind “If sounds to good to be true it probably is” 😩